Job no: 510654
Work type: Staff
Location: San Francisco
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Probationary, Full Time, Information Systems & Technology
SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing [email protected]
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Information Technology Services - Project Management
This is a one-year probationary position.
Monday through Friday; 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Anticipated Hiring Range
$7,178.00 - $7,975.00 Per Month ($86,136.00 - $95,700.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Reporting to the Manager of the Project Management Office, this position will work independently to coordinate, plan, support, and execute complex, enterprise-wide, information technology projects. The incumbent will manage the Project Management Life Cycle from beginning to end, establish multi-disciplinary stakeholder and project team buy-in, apply his or her knowledge and understanding of industry-accepted methodologies (i.e., Project Management Body of Knowledge [PMBOK]) and lessons learned from past experience to facilitate project success.
The Project Lead will create innovative and practicable solutions to a wide range of problems and identify vulnerabilities and obstacles. The incumbent will mentor project coordinators on project management methodologies, and tools. Using project management experience and training, the incumbent will work with Information Technology Services and functional divisions during the course of managing projects, with an emphasis on projects incorporating technology to support student success, teaching, learning, and research.
The incumbent will also work with the PMO Manager, project coordinators, and ITS colleagues to develop and implement maturing project management policies and procedures. This incumbent will develop a thorough understanding of Information Technology services and how they each support projects.
Manage Project DeliveryProject PlanningConsults with project sponsors to clarify project scope, deliverables, timelines, and analyze riskInteracts with users and stakeholders (administration, faculty, staff, students, vendors) to understand requirementsDevelops the project plan as needed to identify and organize project resources, assigning and clarifying roles and responsibilities, establish project schedule, plan for communication, risk, budget, and quality assuranceUses presentation and communication skills and tools (i.e., MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio) to communicate project vision and plans to team and stakeholdersWorks with Information Security, Networking, Operations, Identity Management, and other information technology departments to plan for proper system and security design, best practices, and service transitionWorks with Service Desk and IT Training and Communications Coordinator to plan project communications to users and the campus communityDocuments project planning in the project and portfolio management tool (i.e., MS Project, Excel, Jira and Confluence)Coordinates with vendors as neededProjects ExecutionApplies certified PM tools (i.e., MS Project, Jira and Confluence) and methodologies to achieve project milestones, maintain scope, and execute project plansObserves project team dynamics to ensure effective team member synergies and to resolve team issuesCreates progressive milestones to recognize successes, provide feedback, and motivate the project teamGathers and analyzes project metrics to evaluate project performance and to manage issues, risk and changes of scopeCoordinates with technical managers and resources from Information Security, Networking, Operations and other information technology departments to execute the plan, utilizing past experience and knowledge to look for gaps or risksCommunicates with stakeholders, senior management and project leaders to discuss issues and resolutions and to authorize scope changesMaintains project status and appropriate documents such as, reports, requirements, issues, and risk in the project and portfolio management tool (i.e., MS Project, Excel, Jira and Confluence)Projects Controls and MonitorsUtilizes PM tools (i.e., MS Project, Excel, Jira and Confluence) to manage project timelines and accuracy, ensure project resource commitments are met, and track activities and variancesPerforms assessments throughout projects to identify risks and their potential impact and to develop response strategies for managing and mitigating risk factorsUsing email, Word, Visio, Excel, and the project software as appropriate, interacts with project customers to verify completion dates, review milestone expectations, and to manage Information Technology Services (ITS) personnel resource schedulesInteracts with Functional Managers to manage resources and to meet project commitments and avoid delays and conflictsOffers sponsors solutions to problems with imaginative, thorough, and practicable solutionsProjects Close OutEvaluates project achievements and facilitates the “lessons learned” process to provide documented historical information for future projectsObtains formal approvals for closing project plans to ensure deliverables met requirements and expectationsWorks with the Service Desk and the Applications Manager on formal handoverSurveys customers, stakeholders, sponsors, and team members to gather input on project quality, metrics performance and recommendations for improvementStores documents, creates final status, finalizes project plan, and formally closes the project in the project and portfolio management tool (i.e., MS Project, Box, Jira and Confluence
Assist with Project Governance
- o Assist with implementation and improvement of yearly Project Governance process and
- Project Management processes
- Position Description
- October , 2017
- o Reviews project requests and works with requestor and team to get estimates
- o Assists with periodic resource planning
Other duties as assigned
To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical information systems and application program packages is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Information Technology Consultant, depending on the nature of the position assignment, may include working knowledge of common software application packages, equipment platforms, reference database systems and sources, and training methods and a basic understanding of networks, data communication, and multimedia systems.
Incumbents at the expert level work almost completely independently on the most complex problems and work assignments. They possess an advanced and comprehensive knowledge of the technical specialty and a working knowledge of related specialties and are able to apply this extensive expertise as a generalist or specialist. Experts are proactive and understand problems from broad, interactive perspective and are able to develop solutions that combine information and ideas in new, unprecedented ways. Incumbents at this level are capable of leading teams and implementation efforts for assigned projects using advanced communication and listening skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field from an accredited university
- 5+ years project management experience and proven ability to independently plan and manage complex projects with a technical component and with broad division or university impact.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Working knowledge of an ability to apply the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with users at multiple levels of the organization
- Experience with effectively completing assignments, prioritizing based on strategic goals, and meeting deadlines within budget
- Excellent organization, time-management and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills including writing, speaking, facilitation, and presentations
- Demonstrated experience successfully working with Information Security, Systems, Networking, Service Desk and other IT departments to plan for proper system and security design and best practices during project planning, execution, and transition
- Demonstrated personal accountability and creative problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to providing excellent service to diverse faculty, staff, and students
- Demonstrated success in managing IT Projects in a non-profit/Higher Education environment
- Experience using project and portfolio management software (such as Jira/Confluence, etc.) for documenting, storing, and sharing project charter information, plans and schedules, team information, issues, risks, and communications
- Experience implementing process improvement and process automation
- Experience working with users, leaders, and decision makers to ensure strategic and effective decision making occurs in process and project work
- Experience leading projects in a matrixed IT environment that involve aspects of IT Governance such as, web governance, data governance, etc.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Familiarity with Agile (Scrum) concepts
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Word, Visio etc.)
- Ability to effectively present process improvement ideas, alternative solutions, and workflow concepts in applicable written or presentation formats such as Context Diagrams, Use Cases, Workflow and Swim Lane Diagrams
- Ability to use consultative and facilitative skills to gain consensus on specific outcomes and requirements.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in working with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate solutions
- Demonstrated ability to assist others in completing work assignments including the ability to provide basic work direction and training.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with users to effectively identify and efficiently meet their requirements.
- Basic knowledge of data and file structures, database systems and related utilities, operating systems, and communication interface programs
- Knowledge of systems design and technology integration techniques.
- Proficiency using standard software packages.
May need to work weekend and/or early morning / night hours for special projects.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to [email protected].
CSUEU Position (For CSUEU Positions Only)
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference.
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
Thank you for your interest in employment with California State University (CSU). CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. Because of this, CSU prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California with very limited exception. While this position may be eligible for occasional telework, all work is expected to be performed in the state of California, and this position is assigned to on-campus operations.
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Advertised: February 09, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled