: Management/ ExecutiveSubscribe:
: Facilities ManagementLocations:
: Binghamton, NYPosted:
: Feb 9, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 00005Position ID:
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University seeks an inspiring, entrepreneurial and visionary leader to become its next Associate Vice President for Facilities Management.
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
One of four research universities in the SUNY system, Binghamton enrolls more than 18,000 undergraduate and graduate students in its six schools and colleges. Founded in 1946, this relatively young university has swiftly built a reputation for excellence in undergraduate education that is bolstered by growing, high-quality graduate programs and a rapidly expanding research enterprise that places it among the elite universities in the nation that have earned very high research activity status in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
Binghamton is consistently ranked among the top 40 public universities in the nation and has been called the "premier public university in the northeast" by the Fiske Guide to Colleges for over a decade, distinguishing itself for its exceptional quality combined with affordability. The university has received national recognition for its special programs and overall success in comprehensive internationalization, as well as its residential communities led by tenured collegiate professors who seamlessly integrate life inside and outside the classroom, creating the feel of a small college with the resources of a major university. Binghamton recruits outstanding and diverse undergraduate students (one-third of whom are people of color), and Binghamton's overall student body hales from all 50 states and 100 countries.
Binghamton's main campus is spread over 930 acres including a 190-acre nature preserve and wetland area with a six-acre pond. Physical Facilities provides maintenance, renovation and a wide array of other services to nearly 118 buildings combining to over 6.6 million gsf. In addition, Binghamton has two satellite campuses in downtown Binghamton and downtown Johnson City, both in close proximity to the main campus in Vestal. There are approximately 550 dedicated individuals working in the Department of Physical Facilities.
Budget Title: AVP for Physical Facilities (MP-2, Management/Confidential)*
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The incoming Associate Vice President for Facilities Management will be a self-confident leader with a collaborative, open management style that fosters participation and collaboration with others, both in the department and across the campus. The individual must have experience in strategic planning, complex organizational structures, project planning, budgeting and management, process development and transformation. The individual must also have broad and deep knowledge of facilities management, including design and construction, capital planning, and operations and will work to further the University's Strategic Plan by providing customer-focused, efficient, high quality facilities and services.
Following are additional areas of responsibility:
- Leads an efficient, effective, innovative, responsive, and empowered facilities team and promotes a culture of respect, continuous improvement, employee satisfaction, customer service orientation, and a commitment to diversity in the organization
- Places high emphasis on customer service and develops methods to measure/assess service levels provided by Physical Facilities throughout the university
- In collaboration with University leadership and key user groups (residential life, academic affairs, research, admissions, dining, athletics, etc.) develops strategic plans for the use and improvement of facilities
- Leads, develops, recommends and implements approved short-term and long-range design and construction schedules including but not limited to the Campus Master Plan, 5-Year Capital Plan, etc
- Provides oversight for all phases of capital projects. This includes but is not limited to selection and oversight of consultants, development of budgets, development of design and construction documents, procurement, interfacing with user groups, and managing projects to ensure adherence to design standards, schedules and budgets
- Serve as the principal liaison on capital and facilities matters with internal and external partners, including the State University Construction Fund (SUCF), Dormitory Authority (DASNY), Empire State Development (ESD), and other federal, state, and municipal entities, including neighborhood and community groups
- Measures, monitors, and benchmarks facilities and energy performance against peers and best practices to ensure that the University is performing at the highest level
- Serves as a resource for the University on campus committees such as Space Management, Reaccreditation, Safety and Security, etc
- Ensure timely and coordinated responses to facilities emergencies
- Familiarity with operational aspects of facilities management including trades, custodial and utility management
- Bachelor's Degree architecture, engineering, facilities management, energy management, environmental sciences, construction or a related field
- Ten (10) years of experience in a related field with progressive leadership experience
- Master's Degree architecture, engineering, facilities management, energy management, environmental sciences, construction or a related field
- Fifteen (15) years of experience in a related field with progressive leadership experience
* Management/Confidential appointments serve at the pleasure of the President and are not represented by a union
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.