Bard CollegeDirector of Athletics and RecreationEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/102290
Bard College is seeking a Director of Athletics and Recreation
to provide leadership, direction and oversight to all programs, staff and facilities related to campus athletics, intramural sports and other recreational activities. The Director oversees the 18-team varsity athletic program, including budget management and operational oversight, while recruiting and supervising coaching staff, and ensuring compliance with all College, conference, and association policies, rules and regulations.
The Director develops collaborative working relationships across departments and programs to build and maintain a culture where student-athletes can develop and improve in a safe, equitable, and supportive environment. The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion. This full-time, 12-month per year, position reports to the Vice-President for Student Affairs.About Bard College
Bard is a private liberal arts college based in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York. Ninety miles from New York City, the beautiful 1,0000-acre campus sits along the Hudson River with views of the Catskill Mountains. In addition to the college, Bard has a conservatory, as well as eight graduate programs offering over 20 graduate degrees in the arts and sciences, and is home to the Fisher Performing Arts Center and the Hessel Museum of Art. The college has a network of over 35 affiliated programs, institutes, and centers throughout the United States and around the world. This includes the Bard Prison Initiative, the largest college-degree-granting prison education program in the U.S. With a reputation for scholarly excellence and civic engagement, Bard is committed to enriching culture, public life, and democratic discourse by training tomorrow’s thought leaders. Responsibilities
- Coordinates membership in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Liberty League Athletic Conference, United Volleyball Conference, College Squash Association, Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), and others, representing Bard at meetings and conferences as needed.
- Develops and manages recreational athletic opportunities, including intramurals, club sports, and related events.
- Assists in creating opportunities to support student interests, and coordinates offerings with Student Activities and other groups on campus to provide athletic opportunities.
- Oversees athletic facilities, including the Stevenson Athletic Center (gymnasium, fitness area, pool, squash courts, and other public areas in the building), the Ferrari Soccer and Lacrosse Complex, Honey Field, tennis courts, and trails used by cross-country teams and the Bard community.
- Coordinates with building maintenance and other campus staff to ensure the safety, security, and maintenance of all athletic and recreation facilities.
- Collaborates with the Office of Development and Alumni/ae Affairs to create and maintain programs to assist with institutional goals. Including fundraising assistance for capital projects and/or operational expenses, while also building programs designed to engage alumni with the department and the student body.
- Works cooperatively with all departments including Admission, the Dean of Student Affairs, Student Activities, Residential Life, Title IX, Counseling Services, Health Services, Disability Services, Equity & Inclusion Programs, Buildings and Grounds, Environmental Services, and others.
- Participate as a member of the Student Services staff, working to build relationships within the faculty and staff campus wide. Advises Bard senior administrators on matters related to the department.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, and a Master’s or Doctoral/Terminal degree preferred, with experience working within an NCAA Division III environment as a coach and/or an administrator.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills, the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of constituents, while thriving in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Candidates must contribute to an environment where the welfare and success of the student-athlete is a priority, aligning the Department with the broader mission of Bard College.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, diversity statement, and the contact information for three references to Interfolio by following this link: http://apply.interfolio.com/102290Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.