Assistant Professor of Practice - Hospitality ManagementDepartment:
Nutrition & Health Sciences UNL-1041Requisition Number:
F_220009Posting Open Date:
02/01/2022Application Review Date: (To ensure consideration, please submit all application materials before review date):
03/17/2022Open Until Filled:
YesDescription of Work:
This position will strengthen our undergraduate and new graduate programs in Hospitality, Restaurant and Tourism Management (HRTM), teach high demand courses, and align with departmental priorities to grow enrollment, develop workforce-ready managers and leaders, and enhance inclusion and diversity of the hospitality workforce of Nebraska and beyond.
Opportunities include meeting the increasing demand by more than 300 students annually in our major (>170), our minor that is growing beyond initial interest from Journalism and Business, the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources’ (CASNR) Professional Golf Administration major (>80), new growth in the Accelerated BA in HRTM in CEHS/MS in Leadership Education in CASNR (starts 2022), and new world-class facilities in the Scarlet Hotel Hospitality Leadership and Innovation Academy on the Nebraska Innovation Campus (fall 2024).
The successful candidate must have the ability to work with and be sensitive to the educational needs of diverse and underrepresented students. Recognizing that diversity within a context of inclusivity enhances creativity, innovation, impact, and a sense of belonging, our department and college are committed to creating learning, research, Extension programming, and work environments that are inclusive of all forms of human diversity. We actively encourage applications from and nominations of qualified individuals from underrepresented groups. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from candidates who can demonstrate their experience with shaping a workplace culture based on respect for differences and with promoting equity and positive cross-cultural relationships.
- Deliver high quality classroom instruction in one or more of the following areas: lodging/resort management, event management, off-campus/on-site internships, club management, or strategic/financial management in the hospitality industry.
- Assist the program to lead recruitment efforts to grow enrollment for our new Hospitality Leadership and Innovation Academy with academic space and a commercial teaching kitchen in the Scarlet Hotel on the Nebraska Innovation Campus.
- Provide mentoring and guidance to students in the major, collaborate with other faculty in the general mission of the program, and serve on Department, College, or University committees as needed.
- Develop and sustain a program of excellence in teaching in the Hospitality, Restaurant and Tourism Management program.
As an EO/AA employer, qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation. See https://www.unl.edu/equity/notice-nondiscrimination
.Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a field related to hospitality management.
- Two years of management experience in the hospitality industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work with educational needs of diverse and underrepresented students in a college or university setting.
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse students, staff, faculty, and hospitality industry professionals.
How to Apply:
- Doctorate degree in a field related to hospitality management.
- Demonstrated record of teaching excellence.
- Demonstrated record of professional scholarship.
- Demonstrated record of student engagement and retention in hospitality education.
Click “Apply to this job” and complete the information form. Attach the following documents:
- A letter of interest that describes your qualifications for the job and anticipated contributions.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three professional references who can speak to your ability to carry out the responsibilities of the position (name, title, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address).
- A teaching statement that describes your experience, philosophy and approach to teaching (up to one page).
- Unofficial graduate transcripts.
- A separate statement of the value you place on diversity and your anticipated contributions to creating inclusive environments in which every person and every interaction matters (up to three pages). See https://ianr.unl.edu/ongoing-searches for guidance in writing this statement.
Combine the statements and transcripts (items 4, 5 and 6) into one document and attach as “Other Document.” Upon request, arrange for three signed letters of reference to be sent via email or mail to Dr. Ajai Ammachathram ([email protected]
), Hospitality Management Search Advisory Committee Chair, Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, Rm 202 Ruth Leverton Hall, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68588-0806.
Candidates wishing additional information are encouraged to contact Dr. Ammachathram by email ([email protected]
) or phone (HRTM office, 402-472-3867). For questions or accommodations related to this position contact:
Dr. Ammachathram Job Category (old):
Hospitality Management Search Advisory Committee Chair
Faculty Non-Tenure LeadingJob Type:
9 Month Position funded by grant or other form of temporary funding?:
NoPlanned Hire Date:
August 15, 2022