LAKELAND UNIVERSITY, an independent liberal arts institution located in east central Wisconsin, invites applications from a diverse group of qualified candidates for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor of Exercise Science, to begin August 2022. Lakeland seeks a candidate committed to serving a diverse student community who could teach a wide range of courses in exercise science and direct undergraduate research within the Feldmann Exercise Science Laboratory. Course teaching requirements include kinesiology and biomechanics, exercise physiology, testing and evaluation, and principles of strength training and conditioning to undergraduate students with varied experience and ability levels, and to teach other courses in our exercise science program as needed. The coordination and supervision of student internships in exercise science is also expected as the faculty member serves as a liaison between the student and employer.
This is a full-time, renewable, tenure-track position. A doctoral (Ph.D.) degree in exercise science or kinesiology is required for the rank of assistant professor and for tenure. The ideal candidate will have undergraduate teaching experience and will have directed/mentored research appropriate for publication and presentation in discipline appropriate journals and venues.
All Lakeland employees are expected to:
- Demonstrate in their words and actions an appreciation for the history of Lakeland University and a commitment to its stated mission.
- Represent unequivocally in their behavior the stated values of the University.
- Be good stewards of the University's resources, including its personnel and the goodwill of its friends, its alumni, and local community.
- Work collaboratively (as opposed to competitively) with their peers to meet objectives and achieve our goals.
- Keep their supervisor appropriately informed.
- Be forthright and honest in their communication with all members of the university community.
- Treat all members in a manner of teamwork and respect.
- Act in a manner that sets the standard for service in higher education and the core principles of Lakelanders Excelling at Professionalism (LEAP) - show respect, communicate, and be positive.
- Advise their supervisor with respect to all matters that require their attention, including their own performance.
- Teach undergraduate courses in exercise science to students of varying ability levels.
- Advise students as assigned.
- Advise and mentor students in exercise science research.
- Coordinate and supervisor student internship and/or cooperative education experiences.
- Work with the division chair and dean to find appropriate adjunct instructors for the exercise science program.
- Teach in both traditional and hybrid learning environments.
- Support the university's general education program.
- Participate in educational assessment activities.
- Hold regular office hours on a weekly basis.
- Respond in a timely manner to calls or emails from students, colleagues, or supervisors.
- Participate in institutional service opportunities as assigned.
- Use university technology as directed.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or a closely related field is required for rank of assistant professor
- Experience in a leadership role in exercise science research
- Successful exercise science teaching experience in higher education preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Limited exposure to physical risk
- Limited physical effort required
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office and laboratory work environment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation will be commensurate with background and experience and a comprehensive benefit program is offered.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, portfolio of professional and student work, and three current letters of recommendation. For additional information on Lakeland University, please visit our web site at www.lakeland.edu.
Lakeland University does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources.
Lakeland University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Educator.