The Department of Psychology at Florida Gulf Coast University seeks candidates in Social Psychology for an Assistant Professor position starting in Fall 2022. As an Assistant Professor of Psychology, the successful candidate will have expertise in social psychology with an emphasis on health and wellness, environmental issues, and/or decision science. The candidate is expected to contribute to a growing area that examines the impact of the environment and/or additional factors on decision making, particularly as it relates to physical and psychological wellness.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach existing courses in social psychology, research methods and survey of analytical techniques. The successful candidate may also be asked to develop new courses in decision science. The successful candidate will work to establish a productive research lab incorporating undergraduates in the research process.
As Assistant Professor of Psychology, you will teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as applicable; be involved in course and/or curriculum development; conduct research/scholarship; participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives; and perform other duties as assigned. Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited:
- Plans and teaches courses in assigned course.
- Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures, tests, and evaluates.
- Maintains highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Keeps abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings.
- Maintains professional skills through regular professional development, and other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Assists with the development of curriculum.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Social Psychology, or related area from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Must meet the University and College criteria for the appointment to the level of Assistant Professor.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2022. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
- Interdisciplinary teaching and research perspective with well-defined research goals. Willingness to engage in service opportunities commensurate with career maturity.
- Established research program resulting in peer reviewed publications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective; and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
- Ability to contribute effectively and collegially to a positive, dynamic, and inclusive learning environment for a diverse student population.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2022. Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Five (5) Professional References
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by February 21, 2022 will receive priority consideration.
Salary: $56,000- Negotiable