Assistant Program Manager - Language Arts
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today's brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We are looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY's diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve. In return, we offer employees the opportunity to be part of the Johns Hopkins community and to take advantage of our generous benefits package, which includes affordable health-care options and tuition assistance for employees and their families.
We are seeking an Assistant Program Manager - Language Arts
who will be supervising a group of instructors to ensuring high quality instruction and a safe learning environment, both for synchronous and asynchronous class activities in CTY's LIVE program. The role addresses student and staff performance issues; contributes to creating a professional community in which colleagues share creative ideas and best practices; and participates in ongoing evaluation necessary for continual improvement of the program. This position addresses, escalates, and documents all student and staff issues in a timely fashion and according to program protocols. An Overview of Courses this Position May Manage:
In CTY LIVE courses, academically advanced learners in grades 3-10 explore a creative focus in collaborative synchronous class sessions and interactive asynchronous coursework. Topics include mystery stories, the narrative power of photography, capturing imagination with brevity, elements of fear in literature and film, fantasy worlds, and worldbuilding. In addition to supervising these courses, the incumbent will support asynchronous Language Arts courses as assigned. CTY's catalog of Language Arts courses is available here: https://cty.jhu.edu/programs/online/courses
.Applicants must provide a cover letter and resume.Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
The Assistant Program Manager will take ownership and responsibility for a subset of courses within Language Arts. Working with the Senior Program Manager, identify and implement useful areas of professional development. As needed, handle student and parent issues with professionalism and care for our student's learning objectives. The Assistant Program Manager will work collaboratively with peers and the Senior Program Manager to support special projects as needed, including working to create a high performing team of full-time and part-time employees to deliver a consistently high-quality program.Course Operations Responsibilities:
At the end of session, ensure all end of course activities are successfully completed by students and instructors. Evaluate instructor performance and provide appropriate coaching.
- Before session starts, connect with instructors and ensure they are prepared to successfully teach their courses and they welcome students appropriately.
- During the session, oversee, monitor, and ensure the quality of classroom instruction.
- Be available to support instructors at the start of their synchronous sessions.
- Provide regular and timely feedback to instructors: address any problems and provide praise for particularly creative or innovative approaches.
- Respond appropriately to students having significant issues in class.
Staffing Support & Ongoing Professional Development:
- This role will also be called upon to support other department courses, predominantly asynchronous courses.
- Staff management of team members working in this model
Student & Family Communications:
- Oversee supervisors, and part-time/casual instructors to ensure that all team members are providing students and families with an academic experience of quality and rigor.
- Development of training specific to your subject area.
- Training of staff supporting courses in your area.
- Review instructor training guides and course videos for updating when necessary.
- Manage direct reports (if applicable), implement accountability systems to highlight and manage possible issues, monitoring for satisfactory performance, and provide constructive criticism and feedback for product improvement.
- Ensure supervisors are proactively engaged in the support and review of all instructors' work. (if applicable), are reviewing instructors' recorded sessions to ensure quality in their work. Perform similar for any instructors reporting directly to you.
- Support direct reports with appropriate professional development opportunities across all team levels.
- Stay up to date in online learning developments in general, as well as specific attention to your subject area and the implementation of subject specific approaches to online instruction.
Working Across JHU & CTY:
- Liaison with CTY families as needed.
- Provide feedback on course placements to parents regarding their students.
- Take into consideration parents' and students' feedback to continue to improve the program and Instructors.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Degree of Independent Action Performed:
- Work with CTY and other Johns Hopkins researchers in development and support of research projects. Includes making changes to instructional approaches to support research, monitoring experimental instructional models and student performance, etc.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- With the support of the Language Arts Senior Program manager, manages a portfolio of courses and staff to defined outcomes.
- Works closely with subject area Program Managers implementing the program aligned to their objectives.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field is required. Master's Degree is strongly preferred. Additional education may be substituted for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula.
- At least three years related experience in the role of direct instruction in English Language Arts, English Literature, Composition, or Creative Writing.
- Experience managing or supervising an instructional or curriculum development staff.
- Experience managing courses in a learning management system (such as Moodle) highly desired.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.*
** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. **Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Background of instruction or development in a learning management system.
- Experience in online educational technology, such as Moodle, Microsoft Office 365 / Teams, Zoom, etc.
- Experience managing and motivating a geographically diverse and virtual workforce.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills.
- Maturity, responsibility, and creativity.
- Effective problem-solving and critical-thinking skills; ability to predict, identify, and resolve issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Working nights and weekends to observe staff as appropriate.
- Ability to work well with other team members.
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and face to face with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
- Manages a blended team of full-time employees, part-time casual employees, and occasionally contractors.
- Standard business hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM (EST).
- All CTY staff have the option to work on a flexible schedule with leadership approval based on degree of conflict with business need.
- It is important to note CTY is a global operation, and in some cases business needs may extend beyond the traditional University hours and/or work days.
- This position is a 100% telecommuting position.
- Candidates must have broadband internet access, which is not eligible for reimbursement. CTY will provide necessary IT equipment for 100% telecommuting employees including: Laptop, Docking Station, choice of either 1 - 27" or 2 - 24" External Monitors, Keyboard and Mouse.
- Applicants must provide a cover letter and resume.
- Candidate must be authorized to work in the US, or live where there is a JHU authorized business entity. All applicants must be eligible for employment in the US without sponsorship.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
- CTY Online Programs offers students in grades preK-12 challenging academic coursework throughout the year. For more information, please visit: http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline.
Classified Title: CTY Assistant Program Manager
Working Title: Assistant Program Manager - Language Arts
Starting Salary Range: $45,650 - $62,850
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: 10000114-DE Writing Humanities Social Science
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Remote-Assistant-Program-Manager-Language-Arts-Othe-NA/815509000/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency