Universities of Canada in Egypt (UofCanada) is a new premier institution of higher learning situated in the heart of the New Egyptian Administrative Capital outside Cairo. UofCanada was created via recent Presidential and Parliamentary decrees and acts as the branch campus for Canadian Universities.
As Ryerson, UofCanada Campus is preparing for the official launch of three FCAD programs (Media Production/Sports Media and Fashion) in September 2021, UofCanada invites applicants at the rank of Lecturer as we are in search of professional talented academics to recommend to FCAD to teach Fashion Theory and Fashion Design.
As the Ryerson School of Fashion vision is centered around the following guiding principles; Inclusion, Decolonization & Sustainability, Lecturers are be expected to summarize how they plan to address one or more of the guiding principles in their course outlines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Teaching and learning:
- To transfer knowledge to students and teaching assistants including practical skills, methods, and techniques.
- To ensure that the teaching content and methods of delivery are in accordance with faculty guidelines and respond to issues relating to staff and student needs.
- To encourage the development of innovative approaches to course delivery and ensure that teaching design and delivery comply with the quality and educational standards and regulations of the department.
- To challenge thinking, foster debate, and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
- To supervise student projects and research, as well as mentor their academic progress.
- To set, mark and assess work and examinations and provide feedback to students.
Research and Scholarly Endeavors
- To lead and coordinate research activity in the subject including determining relevant research objectives, leading research and collaborative partnerships with other educational institutions or other bodies, and preparing and submitting proposals and applications to external bodies, e.g. for funding and accreditation purposes.
- To carry out independent research and write or contribute to publications or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media.
- To seek practical application of research findings in line with the vision of the university.
- To chair and contribute to committees' work and participate in school/department decision-making and governance.
- To promote and market the work of the university and department both nationally and internationally.
- To be responsible for dealing with referred issues for students within their own educational programs.
- To mentor, appraise, and advise staff on personal and career development plans.
- To foster innovation and inter-disciplinary team working.
Required Skills and Qualifications
The type of candidates we are looking for to launch these creatively disruptive programs should have a deep appreciation for Ryerson FCAD's unique position as an innovator in the creative fields and have the following skills/experience:
- A baccalaureate degree in a relevant discipline, and master’s will be an asset. (preference will be given to applicants with relevant graduate degrees from a recognized University Preferably Canadian institutions)
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the same field.
- Currently active in relevant field(s) of design with demonstrated ability to provide mentorship.
- Understanding of contemporary design theory and demonstrated experience incorporating decolonial, sustainable, and/or inclusive approaches to design.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in all aspects of personal computers that are relevant to this course, including document creation, file management, internet research, and communications.
- Demonstrated capacity to teach in a university environment.
- Compassionate, positive, and professional attitude
- High level of responsibility and commitment.
- Ability to take and implement initiatives contributing to the development of the school.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively teach in an online environment which includes demonstrated knowledge of best practices for the delivery and management of online courses, using course management system tools to communicate with students and to foster and support a collaborative online learning community with and between students in the course.
- Specific courses require qualifications which are:
- Research expertise in fashion, diversity, and inclusion, and intersectionality.
- Design-related education or industry experience in sustainable practice
- Knowledge of systems thinking and application.
- Experience with motif development, digital textile design, and direct-to-fabric printing
- Expertise with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, In design and related software
- Experience in project management in the fashion industry
- Professional experience in visual communication, graphic design, art direction, advertising, and publication design
- Ability to develop and critique strategic visual communications.
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator for print and digital publication design is essential.
- Demonstrated capacity to guide independent project development.
- Extensive experience in fashion for diverse bodies, creative fashion processes, technical drawing using hand and digital methods, and pattern drafting from basic blocks.
- Experience with sustainable, inclusive, and/or decolonial fashion practice
Ryerson University and the Universities of Canada are strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our faculty and its scholarship. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Formal applicants for the available positions should send a cover letter, including CV, the names of three references, and a brief statement of teaching philosophy to the following address and write in the subject of the email R-FCAD-104-1: [email protected]anada.edu.eg
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.