Date: January 19, 2022
Title: Network Engineer
Description: The Network Engineer manages and maintains local and wide area network infrastructure. This position requires strong knowledge of network architecture and infrastructure. Responsibilities include installation, administration, upgrading, maintenance--including break/fix, and testing of network infrastructure hardware and software systems. The Network Engineer performs network diagnostics, including monitoring and preventative maintenance. The Network Engineer researches and tracks regulations and best practices for information and infrastructure security and develops mitigations for risk to the College.
- Configure and maintain College's LANs, WANs, and WLANs and the infrastructure that supports their operation.
- Initiate and monitor actions to investigate and resolve problems in network systems, processes, and services. Escalate as appropriate. Assist with the implementation of remedies and preventative measures.
- Maintain knowledge in one or more assigned specialties in networking
- Assist in the development, configuration, installation, and maintenance of IP network standards, protocols, and procedures SIP standard-based HD collaboration servers & endpoints
- Perform security risk, vulnerability assessments, and business impact analysis
- Work individually and as part of a team with other IT staff and with vendors/ contractors
- Document procedures and configurations for use by other members of the IT team
- Available to work occasional weekend or evening hours as required
- Communicate effectively with fellow staff members and end-users
- Perform other duties as assigned
- As a representative of the College, must comport oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus.
- Comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and associational regulations
- Participate in significant campus activities including Welcome Weekend, True Blue Weekend, and Commencement Weekend.
Qualifications: Minimum requirements for this position are a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience. CCNA or CCNP certification (completed or in progress)
- Three years’ experience in a Network Administrator (or similar) role
- Thorough knowledge of switch and routing principles, best practices, and industry standards
- Experience with routing, multilayer switching, and layer 2 & 3 switch configuration and deployments
- Experience with fiber-optic network operations and troubleshooting, Category 5 and 6 ethernet cabling, 802.x wired and wireless, Broadband/cable
- Experience with VLAN, network sub-netting
- Experience with firewalls, preferable Fortinet, including access policies, site-to-site and client VPNs
- Experience with VoIP systems and component technologies.
- Ability to learn rapidly, follow directions and communicate effectively with others
- Experience with vulnerability scanning/testing
- Experience with Fortinet firewalls and Aruba switches
- Experience with Microsoft Azure
- Knowledge of cybersecurity best practices
- Experience with Windows Server
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the start of their employment.
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,200 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce. The College features a Liberal Arts in Practice general education curriculum and aspires to “be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning.”
Hartwick operates as a community of learners where there is a very real sense of belonging and connection. By joining Hartwick, you become part of a group of people who work together, share in our successes, and a celebrate our accomplishments. All positions at Hartwick contribute to the education and development of students with the opportunity to see the impact on future leaders—what you do at Hartwick really matters.
Our beautiful 425-acre campus is located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, New York—a charming town near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, flexible scheduling, opportunities to engage in athletic and cultural events (concerts, exhibits, and lectures) and tuition benefits for eligible employees and their dependents.
Hartwick College prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression and is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational and employment environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process.
All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Read More