Deputy Chief Information OfficerPosition Number :
908949Vacancy Open to :
All Candidates Department :
AFH IT Client Engamnt and SuppDepartment Homepage :
https://itcs.ecu.edu/Advertising Department :
ITCS CLIENT ENGAGEMENT AND SUPPORTDivision :
Administration & FinanceClassification Title :
Director - Exec AdminWorking Title :
Deputy Chief Information OfficerNumber of Vacancies :
1Full Time Equivalent (FTE) :
1.000Full Time or Part Time :
Full TimeRecruitment Range:
Commensurate with QualificationsPosition Location (City) :
Non-FacultyJob Category :
Non-Faculty Information TechnologyOrganizational Unit Overview:
Information Technology and Computing Services (ITCS) is the central agency that supports enterprise-wide computing at East Carolina University. ITCS, through innovative information technology initiatives and service, provides opportunities for the ECU community to excel in teaching, research, and service using state-of-the-market technology and collaborative environments. ITCS is first and foremost committed to providing excellent information technology support for faculty, staff, and students. ITCS partners with campus departments, other universities, and industry to make strategic investments in information technology infrastructure that will help maintain a competitive advantage in administrative applications, faculty research, and outreach to the state and nation. We will achieve this through increasing the core functions and deploying appropriate technology throughout the university.Job Duties :
In support of the Associate Vice Chancellor and Chief Information Officer (CIO), the Deputy CIO provides leadership and guidance in critical areas of technology administration at the university, including resource management and allocation, policy formation, technology evaluation, and service development, delivery, and deployment. Provide assistance to the CIO in managing business operations to improve cost effectiveness, service quality, and IT operational effectiveness. Provides leadership, direction, and support at the institution (and externally) with broad-reaching impact. Acts on behalf of the CIO as assigned by the CIO or in the absence of the CIO as the principal IT officer on executive decisions and executive level committees.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Minimum Education/Experience :
- Provides direct management and oversight of the Project Management Office and IT Service Management functions, including: classroom A/V technology, learning management systems, end user support, student labs, inventory management, and help desk.
- Provides strategic leadership and guidance at the executive level in critical areas of technology administration having institutional (and external) impact.
- Serves on behalf of the CIO as the principal IT Officer, in the CIO’s absence or as requested.
- Assists the Chief Information Office in leading diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives within ITCS.
- Oversees cross-institutional initiatives and executive level projects, fostering strategic partnerships across the university in support for campus wide initiatives.
- Assists the Chief Information Officer in leading overall information technology strategic planning to achieve business goals by prioritizing information technology initiatives and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future technology projects.
- Assists the Chief Information Officer in governance oversight, project and portfolio management, and service delivery management.
- Provides leadership for planning, developing, and implementing information technology initiatives.
- Directs programs to monitor, evaluate and improve customer service delivery.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
A master’s or doctoral degree from an appropriately accredited institution with a minimum of 8 years experience and proven track record of success in leading high profile, complex, diverse, information technology projects and initiatives, including projects directly assigned by senior executive leadership (Chancellor, Vice Chancellor). A work history that demonstrates progressively responsible leadership roles within the information technology field is required. Expertise regarding both project management and IT service management, together with a proven ability to assess their appropriateness and harness them for use in university projects is necessary. Extensive knowledge/experience in contract review and conducting vendor negotiations. Must have excellent organizational and leadership skills across diverse disciplines.License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation :
N/APreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education :
Special Instructions to Applicant :
- Experience in leading multiple large IT units that support the entire organization.
- Previous university experience providing support for academic technologies including any of the following areas: classroom A/V technology, learning management systems, end user support, student labs, inventory management, and help desk.
- Previous Experience leading a Project Management Office or similar function.
- Experience building partnerships and collaborations across large enterprises.
- Industry certifications in project management and/or IT service management (PMP, ITIL, etc.).
- Previous experience leading committees that span the organization.
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Candidates must also submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online. Additional Instructions to Applicant:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date :
01/21/2022Open Until Filled:
YesInitial Screening Begins :
02/04/2022Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting :
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status.Eligibility for Employment :
Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department of Human Resources at (252) 737-1018 (Voice/TTY) or [email protected].
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information :
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to [email protected] Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.