Job location: Five Colleges, Inc. Employment Type:
Other Posted data:
Please attach/upload a current resume and cover letter in order for your application to be considered for this position.Job Description
The Program Assistant provides educational, logistical, and administrative support for Five College Center for World Languages (FCCWL) courses and assists with outreach and publicity, training, and event planning. The Center offers courses in less-commonly taught languages to students from Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Since 1991, FCCWL has helped more than 5,000 students study 60 languages from around the world.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, benefited entry-level position with Five Colleges, Incorporated.
Importance of Diversity to our Educational Mission
Five Colleges, Incorporated and its five associated institutions (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst) are committed to supporting and sustaining a diversity of people, backgrounds, experiences, ideas and points of view for the essential contribution this diversity makes to educational missions of our organizations. In support of this commitment Five Colleges requires all of its employees to work cooperatively and effectively with the diversity of people at the colleges (students, faculty members, other employees) and within the organization itself.
Serve as a course organizer for FCCWL language courses:
- Respond to phone, email, and walk-in inquiries.
- Advise students about appropriate course opportunities and placement.
- Process and track course registrations.
- Coordinate logistics for language instructors, conversation partners, and students.
- Schedule and conduct student and conversation partner interviews.
- Complete hiring paperwork for new conversation partners.
- Screen weekly reports and self-assessments.
- Maintain gradebooks and homework portfolios.
- Assist students with routine logistical and learning questions and work with the FCCWL director to resolve problems.
- Schedule and proctor individual final evaluations.
In consultation with the FCCWL director and other staff, devise and implement outreach initiatives to recruit students and conversation partners and promote engagement with FCCWL programs, through print, online, and social media advertising and events.
Plan and participate in orientation and training activities for conversation partners and teaching fellows.
Assist with creation and revision of course syllabi, study guides, multimedia resources, and other instructional and training materials. Participate in team conversations about language learning principles, strategies, and resources.
Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Significant language learning experience at the college level and the ability to articulate good language learning principles and strategies both verbally and in writing
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite, and a willingness to learn additional tools as required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent level of intercultural competence and emotional intelligence
- Excellent multi-tasking ability, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Demonstrated judgment and discretion
- Flexibility to work closely with others in a small cooperative office
- Ability to engage effectively with multiple Five College constituents (faculty members, staff members, students, community members)
- Capacity to meet the physical expectations of the position, which include:
- Ability to comprehend written and verbal communication
- Ability to evaluate printed materials and material presented on-screen
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, by telephone, via videoconference, and via email
- Ability to lift and carry equipment of up to 20 lbs
- Ability to work occasional later hours or weekend hours for special events. Vacation time for this position will generally not be granted during the two weeks prior to the start of each semester, during the first two weeks of the semester, and during exam periods.
- Ability to pass a post-offer background check
- Ability to comply with Five Colleges, Incorporated’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, or to qualify for an exemption
- Proficiency in a language offered by FCCWL
- 1+ years working in an education office or high-activity work environment
- College-level coursework in international studies, linguistics, translation, and/or regional studies; experience studying abroad and/or living and working in multilingual settings
- Experience with website content management (HTML knowledge not required)
- Familiarity with the five member campuses and the Consortium
- Familiarity with FERPA and other policies related to handling student records
Please attach BOTH a current resume and a cover letter for your application to be considered for this position. You may combine your resume and cover letter into a single file or attach multiple files to your application, but be sure you have added all attachments BEFORE SUBMITTING your application. You will NOT be able to attach additional files after you have hit the Submit button.
For priority consideration, please apply by February 4, 2022.Position Type:
RegularAbout Five Colleges, Inc.Five Colleges, Incorporated, sustains and enriches the excellence of its members -- Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst -- through academic and administrative collaboration. The consortium facilitates intellectual communities and broad curricular and cocurricular offerings; affording learning, research, performance and social opportunities that complement the distinctive qualities of each institution.Five Colleges, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or veteran status in the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of its programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws and regulations. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.