Digital Fabrication Laboratory (Fab Lab) Manager
- Fort Valley State University
- Fort Valley, GA
- Administrative Jobs
- Academic Affairs, Research Staff & Technicians
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
The Digital Fabrication Laboratory (Fab Lab) Manager will be responsible for the overall operation of the Fab Lab and the development of programs and services which meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and the community. S/He will lead staff, interns, and volunteers working in the Fab Lab and manage their training on the use of the Fab Lab software, computers, and
manufacturing equipment. The Fab Lab Manager will serve as a champion for the Fab Lab, promote the opportunities available through various venues in the area, and maintain partnerships with external organizations. The Manager will also establish protocols for safe and effective use of the lab and monitor and maintain optimal safety conditions. S/He
will be responsible for the maintenance of equipment, management of supplies and inventory, as well as scheduling and supervision of the lab and its staff and interns.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Requires a technical degree (ME, CS, IT) and/or similar job experience. Bachelor's
degree in engineering or other STEM-related field with significant technical experience and three years of recent
professional experience providing support services in a directly related unit or discipline preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Experience with image editing, CAD/CAM applications, and design software.
• Experience with fabrication equipment such as a vinyl printer/cutter, laser etcher/cutter, CNC mill, CNC plasma
cutter, and others.
• Experience working in or using manufacturing/industrial and rapid prototyping technology and equipment.
• Supervisory and teaching experience.
• Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Proficient in common desktop applications (web browsing, Office, image editing, etc.).
• Ability to work in a team-based environment; demonstrated flexibility, initiative, and collegiality.
• Must have strong general management, problem-solving, organizational, and decision-making skills, as well
as technical knowledge, a strong attention to detail, and highly developed customer relations attitude and
• Have experience in teaching and/or demonstration of science and technology, especially to underserved
• The Fab Lab Manager and the Fab Lab itself will cross the boundary of multiple disciplines. The ideal candidate
will have a background that is just as diverse and will be eager to embrace new concepts and technologies when
Ability to lift 60 pounds.
FACTORS FOR SUCCESS:
• Patient, adept multi-tasker who loves to make things.
• Leads as a proactive team-player & displays a passion for helping people learn through discovery.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.
Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert