The SUNY Sullivan Dormitory Corporation is seeking to fill the position of Residence Director. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Student Engagement, the Residence Director (RD) is a live-in, 12-month professional position with primary responsibility for coordinating the daily management of the residential facilities. The RD will work with college personnel to create an atmosphere which celebrates diversity and encourages academic success. Hours will vary and nights and weekends are required. Although, the location for this position is on the SUNY Sullivan Campus, the incumbent will be an employee of The Dormitory Corporation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide management and leadership for two residential facilities housing up to 380 residents.
- Develop and implement social, cultural and educational programs for residents. May work with the college’s student activities, athletics and learning center staff as in developing and implementing programs.
- Create and host August, January and ongoing monthly development and training for RA staff.
- Manage administrative responsibilities including but not limited to occupancy records, room assignments, fire safety projects, opening and closing of the residence halls, etc.
- Participate in interviewing and selecting Resident Assistant staff members.
- Work with the Director of Student Activities, Director of Athletics, the Associate Dean for Student Engagement and Housing and the Coordinator of First Year Experience to assist in the orientation program for residents with the intent to augment positive roommate and floor resident interaction, and encourage positive respect among diverse residents.
- Investigate all alleged infractions, conduct room inspections/searches and report findings to the Associate Dean for Student Engagement. Recommend disciplinary actions, and participate in conduct hearings.
- Hold regular published office hours.
- As a live-in professional, the Residence Director will provide on-duty coverage as required by the schedule.
- Work with campus personnel in supporting summer program residents regarding access to facilities, quality of services, acquiring and dispensing special supplies or furnishings, and responding to reasonable needs of temporary residents.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean.
- RD’s must have a Bachelor’s Degree; a Master’s Degree in a student personnel field, counseling or related field is preferred.
- Experience in residence hall living and/or two or more years in a related college student personnel area are required.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software.
- Possession of or ability to obtain certification in CPR/AED and First Aid.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with a multi-cultural population and awareness of issues affecting women and minorities.
- The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with students, athletes, staff, faculty, alumni, administrators, and parents.
- The ability to inspire achievement and leadership among students and staff.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for full consideration we strongly encourage candidates to submit all required materials immediately. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and the contact information for 3 professional references to Ms. Katrina Gibson at [email protected] Please reference “RD Search Committee” in the subject line of your email. Please note we will only be accepting applications for this positon through this method. Applications should not be submitted through SUNY Sullivan’s Human Resources Department.