Human Resource RepresentativePosition Number:
00003883Working Position Title:
Human Resource Representative - Civil Service TestingPosting Type:
Human Resource ServicesPrimary Function:
Under direct supervision from the Human Resource Civil Service Testing Assistant Manager, the incumbent participates in the scheduling, maintenance, scoring and referral processing of State Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS) Civil Service examinations and the processing and maintenance of Civil Service position descriptions, including HRIS data entry. The position requires extensive contact with the general public, civil service applicants, internal and external hiring departments, agencies, and other personnel. Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
This position reports to the Human Resource Civil Service Testing Assistant Manager. The incumbent will be a member of the Civil Service Testing work area and the Employment Services team.
30% Maintains security and confidentiality of all State Universities Civil Service (SUCSS) examination materials. Prepares examination materials. Order examination materials. Schedules, administers and scores examinations. Monitors applicants sitting for examinations. Enters test scores into HRIS database and SUCSS E-Test system. Maintains active registers. Prepares and sends referrals to hiring departments. Prepares and distributes testing correspondence. Updates applicant statuses in PeopleAdmin. Generate SUCSS reports (as required) and forward to SUCSS along with examination answer sheets. Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
15% Counsels and assists applicants and hiring departments regarding civil service testing policies and procedures. Reviews and assists in the resolution of any issues relating to civil service testing. Composes correspondence regarding procedure and policy changes as needed.
15% Maintain and distribute list of orientation attendees. Assist with the scheduling and notification of University subject matter experts for SUCSS sponsored meetings regarding revisions to civil service examinations and class specifications.
10% Assists in designing manuals and brochures related to civil service testing. Pulls files for employee civil service exam requests and give to the appropriate Employment Coordinator.
10% Maintains civil service position description files. Enters data into HRIS database and prepares related reports. As requested, provides copies of requested job descriptions.
15% Assists in the development and implementation of operational policies and procedures relating to civil service testing and employment. Assist in reviewing changes in State and Federal regulations relating to civil service testing and employment and assist in implementing new policy/procedural changes consistent with statutory requirements. Assists with testing HRIS database and reviewing and analyzing related reports
5% Performs other related duties as assigned
1. High school graduation or equivalent Education and Experience Preferred:
2. Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
(a) progressively more responsible work experience performing duties comparable to those listed for the previous lower level of the series
(b) college course work in human resource administration, business administration, or a closely related field, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
60 semester hours equals one year
90 semester hours equals two years
Regular office experienceList the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs) Working Hours:
1. Willingness and ability to communicate and deal with a variety of people.
2. Willingness and ability to perform repetitive duties and detailed work accurately.
3. Ability to work with frequent distractions.
4. Willingness and ability to work with electronic data processing hardware and software.
5. Mathematical ability.
6. Good oral and written communication skills.
7. Good customer service and/or interpersonal skills.
8. Ability to understand and follow written procedures and guidelines.
9. Ability to read and comprehend computer-generated reports.
M-F, 8 to 4:30Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$14.84/hr Hiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
02/03/2022Special Instructions to Applicants:
Link to Department Homepage:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected] Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION. At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE: If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Human Resource Representative for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Regular office related duties EEO Statement:
Sitting for extended periods of time
Using computer/electronic equipment for extended periods of time
Occasional lifting and moving items weighing up to 25 lbs.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Is Background Check Required:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: