Job no: 511705
Work type: Senior/Research Fellow (Amherst Only)
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Computer Science
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Massachusetts Artificial Intelligence and Technology Center for Connected Care in Aging and Alzheimer’s Disease (massaitc.org) housed at UMass Amherst is seeking applicants for a mobile health technology integration specialist position. The candidate will work with MassAITC staff and other researchers to develop and deploy mobile health research data collection platforms for lab and field studies. Platforms may integrate multiple technologies including wearable and other at-home health monitoring devices, mobile applications, and back-end data ingestion, storage, dashboarding and study management components. The candidate will lead all aspects of the development process from requirement analysis to implementation, testing, validation, documentation, deployment and maintenance. The candidate will also contribute to producing training materials and preparing research publications describing developed platforms.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field.
- Experience developing Android and/or iOS applications.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with team members and contacts who are internal and external to the university.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills.
- Driver’s license, car, and ability to travel within state to visit partner sites and support field deployment and training work.
- Masters’ degree in Computer Science or closely related field.
- At least three (3) years of experience in an academic research lab and/or in an industry research and development position.
- Record of published research and/or patents in mobile health or closely related areas.
- Experience working on interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience in mobile health research and/or research and development.
- Experience working with one or more commercial wearable devices (e.g., Fitbit, Garmin, Apple Watch, etc.).
- Experience working with one or more commercial cloud platforms (e.g., Amazon EC2, Google Cloud, etc.).
- Experience working with one or more large-scale data processing and storage frameworks (e.g., Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, Elastic Stack, etc.).
- Experience working with one or more data dashboard tools (e.g., Kibana, Tableau, etc.).
- Experience working with one or more web development frameworks (e.g., Django, Flask, etc.).
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, research statement, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jan 18 2022 Eastern Standard Time