Job no: 512831
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Auxiliary Services
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
Categories: Human Resources, Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Human Resources Director of Auxiliary Enterprises (AE) performs oversight of all the fundamentals of the unit's human resources functions including, but not limited to: payroll management, employee relations, employment services for staff and students, organizational development, compensation, and compliance. This critical role will collaborate with directors and managers of the unit to identify and coordinate training and development programs for the staff. They will also advise and consult with managers and staff on employee and human resources issues. This role will be counted on to identify, develop, and direct a variety of activities to improve organizational effectiveness, employee engagement, and professional development in support of AE's strategic goals.
This role reports directly to the Administration & Finance HR Executive Director with dotted line responsibility to the Executive Director of Auxiliary Enterprises. AE employs approximately 650 employees across a variety services.
- Implements and effectively communicates human resources strategies for staffing, employment processing, training & development programs, records management, retention and safety & health. Identifies strategic employment issues and initiatives in conjunction with the Division's directors. Formulates effective divisional programs and procedures.
- Conducts investigations and represents AE at employee grievance and discipline hearings and arbitrations. Provides advice and counsel to managers regarding employee and labor relations and accessibility concerns. Is available as required to assist managers in responding to employee issues on nights and weekends. Participates in MCAD and EEO reviews as required.
- Manages employment processes including recruitment, leave management, record-keeping and termination in accordance with University and collectively bargained agreements. Ensures that AE HR staff are trained in talent management processes and systems.
- Manages Auxiliary Enterprises payroll through KRONOS and PeopleSoft systems to ensure accurate and timely processing. Ensures office personnel are provided training necessary to understand and comply with procedures in reference to time & attendance and pay practices. Provides staffing and budgetary information for payroll and personnel as requested.
- Manages the delivery of employment related training and development by working proactively with managers to identify training needs. Identifies appropriate resources to deliver training and conducts some training programs. Evaluates training effectiveness in Auxiliary Enterprises' multicultural setting.
- Contributes to the creation of a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Understands Title IX, Clery, Conflicts of Interest policies and other compliance requirements.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance or the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
- Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet department, executive area, and university goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Psychology or related discipline.
- 6 years of related human resources experience with at least 3 years in a supervisory capacity.
- A demonstrated knowledge of recruitment, payroll, employee relations, and compliance, training and development, benefits and compensation knowledge. Working knowledge of federal and state laws pertaining to employee relations.
- Ability to provide leadership for HR planning; ability to develop departmental goals, objectives and systems and employee labor relations in a unionized environment.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Excellent negotiation and mediation skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office suite or other similar programs. Experience with HR information systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with all levels of employees and management; demonstrated skills in problem analysis and resolution.
- Ability to work occasional night and weekends and be on call for employee matters.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- SPHR or PHR certification.
- Experience with PeopleSoft, PageUp, and Kronos.
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
Salary commensurate with experience and skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. The posting may remain open until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jan 20 2022 Eastern Standard Time