Assistant Professor of Newton Gresham Library (Web Services Librarian)Requisition:
Assistant Professor (12-months)FLSA status:
Commensurate with education and experience. Position Type:
Full-Time Tenure TrackCollege:
Newton Gresham LibraryDepartment:
Newton Gresham LibraryOpen Date:
Director of Library Technical Services Contact Phone:
Newton Gresham Library
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2179
[email protected]Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job:
Working within the guidelines of the university’s website architecture and design, the Web Services Librarian is responsible for the planning, design, maintenance, and evaluation of the Library’s web presence to improve user experience and ensure reliable operation of the Library’s web content. Responsible to employ user experience (UX) assessment methodologies and web usage analytics to advocate for continually improving user experience.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with library units to develop and conduct continuous evaluation and assessment of the library’s web content to improve user experiences in discovering and accessing online library resources, instruction, and services. Acquires, maintains, and employs knowledge of user experience (UX) assessment methodologies in evaluating and improving web presence.
- Works with SHSUOnline, the university’s distance education and technologies unit, to advocate for and integrate the library web presence into the university’s learning management software.
- Administers technical aspects of the Library’s Springshare suite, including Libguides, LibAnswers, LibCal, LibInsight, LibStaffer & LibWizard. Act as primary contact to SpringShare for sales, training, and troubleshooting. Administration may include user account creation, service configuration, running broken link reports for librarians, troubleshooting and interfacing with SpringShare support, communicating with [email protected] Sam for configuration such as single sign-on and Microsoft OAuth.
- Collaborates with other library units and university departments, including [email protected], to identify, design, or configure technologies to deliver user-centered library services and ensure compliance with university and industry standards for security, privacy, and accessibility.
- Collaborates with library units that use area specific software to improve those systems’ website integration and user experience.
- Maintains web analytics (currently Google Analytics, Google Tabs) on the library web presence, including areas such as the Digital Library, Special Collections, and Interlibrary Loan. Identifies and analyzes other data, such as chat metadata, to understand patron engagement of the library web presence. Generates reports for library management as appropriate.
- Collaborates with the Electronic Resources Librarian to manage web presence branding.
- Develops and recommends policies, standards, and guidelines for web presence development, implementation, and management.
- Instruct or coordinate training on software systems managed by Web Services Librarian for other library staff.
- Identifies emerging trends and best practices in library web services, technologies, and systems; advocates for ones appropriate for the SHSU library. Explores and is aware of software solutions to improve user experience and determine their appropriateness for the SHSU environment.
- Computer Science departmental liaison assignment performs instruction and collection development duties.
- Participates in professional activities, professional development, scholarly research, publication, and service activities as outlined in Academic Policy Statement 900417, Faculty Reappointment, Tenure, and Promotion.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports to the Director of Library Technical ServicesEducational Requirements for the Position:
A degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited master’s program (must be awarded by May 31, 2022).Experience Required for the Position:
Experience with the creation or management of a website is desired.Other Requirements for the Position:
This is a tenure track, 12-month positionSpecial Instructions Summary:
References provided in the References section of the application will receive an automated email reference request at the time the application is submitted.Open Until Filled:
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.