Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, School of Nursing
invites applications for the position of Associate Dean, Student and Academic Services
. The School of Nursing offers an upper division baccalaureate degree and graduate degrees including masters, doctor of nursing practice, and doctor of philosophy which is in collaboration with the University of Maryland, Baltimore Graduate School. The Associate Dean, Student and Academic Services provides strategic direction and innovation solutions to challenges, monitors trends in higher education and healthcare, and recommends future decisions for the Office of Student and Academic Services.The School of Nursing Associate Dean, Student and Academic Services is a member of the Dean's executive team, reports to the Dean and works closely with the management of academic programs, on strategic planning, coordination, and implementation for academic issues and programming initiatives. The Associate Dean serves as a strategic partner to leadership for matters concerning students, and serves as the school's representative in campus-wide student affairs initiatives, related academic programming, and policy deliberations. The Associate Dean of Students and Academic Services is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of a range of services including admissions, student success support, career development, financial planning, registrar services, and enrollment management. The Associate Dean provides strategic evaluation, planning, development and academic program coordination with the commitment to the University's core values of respect and integrity, well-being and sustainability, equity and justice, and innovation and discovery.UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources
. PRIMARY DUTIES
- Supervises five (5) direct reports and oversees a staff of 34 employees, located at two locations – the University of Maryland, Baltimore and the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Maryland. Serves as support and advocate for Student and Academic Services team. Contributes to continuous professional development of direct and indirect reports.
- Oversee all of the School's Student and Academic Services operations, which include admissions, student success support, career development, enrollment management, financial planning, counseling and advisement, registrar and student placements functions, student information systems, and student affairs divisions. Ensure compliance with all policies and practices, state and federal laws and regulations and provides quality services to all current students, prospective students, and alumni.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and oversight of student life activities, school and university policies, and oversees and manages resources to provide assistance to students for academic and individual counseling matters for students enrolled in university programs. Monitor student placement processes to ensure sufficient and relevant placement opportunities are available for undergraduate, graduate, and terminal degree students.
- Provide leadership to support the School of Nursing's mission and strategic initiatives for student and academic services. Contribute to the advancement of the school’s agenda and strategic and outreach plans.
- Ensure the provision of adequate, accurate, and timely data for immediate and long-term strategic decision-making and operational leadership. Formulate and implement plans for student development, retention, and success.
- Develop and execute enrollment management plans for both prospective and current students with leadership team. Ensure success of school recruitment and outreach plans.
- Serve as advocate for students and liaison between the student body, faculty and administration, and the University, on matters affecting students, including professional and diversity matters in consultation with Diversity and Inclusion leadership. Work with students, faculty, and administrators to develop student-friendly initiatives. Monitors student registration, performance, retention, and academic progress.
- Facilitate liaisons and partnerships with internal units and external institutions to advocate for the advancement of the school’s mission and strategic goals.
- Serve as the liaison to the Dean in supporting senior management in addressing unanticipated challenges and opportunities.
- Participate on and provide input to multiple University committees and advisory boards serving as the Dean's designee with regard to student disciplinary matters, and oversees judicial boards.
- Oversee the administrative liaison and support the governance of student organizations to assist students with the planning, implementation and approval process for student organization formation, budgets, projects, events and travel, when appropriate.
- Enhance the quality of life of students through the timely provision of academic and personal counseling. Make appropriate referrals to nursing/University student services resources or other community resources as appropriate.
- Oversee the School’s Student Emergency Fund and make recommendations to the Dean on individual student allocations.
- Recommend to the school’s leadership improvements to the student experience and executes new improvement initiatives.
- Provide research and advice to the Dean regarding sensitive issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
: Master’s degree related field to the position. Nursing degree preferred.Experience
: Twelve (12) years spent progressively building a background in student services and activities, strategic and tactical planning functions. Prior experience in nursing or healthcare profession education preferred.Supervisory Experience/Leadership
: Five (5) years leadership position in higher education with a thorough understanding of student services.Other:
This position will be exempt from notice, as per policy VII-1.22 – Policy on Separation for Regular Exempt Employees. This position will be required to file financial disclosure to the State of Maryland Ethics Commission. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Possess a thorough knowledge of student and academic requirements to develop and communicate student service & activity models and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws. Ability to maintain high standards in establishing goals, structures, and processes necessary to implement a mission and strategic vision. Maintain awareness with trends and influences and continuously seeks improvement in quality of services and processes. Assume personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; applies knowledge to solve problems requiring identification and analysis of complex variables pertaining to services and compliance.Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Write and present information in a clear and concise way to present complex information to various constituents. Interpret and understand written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding. Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Demonstrate pleasant and positive interactions with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers. Reach compromise and consensus to influence and negotiate. Remain calm and is able to manage conflict, and works well with a diverse workforce. Collaborative and approachable style allows others to be open in sharing thoughts and ideas.Exhibits a comfortability with new and existing technological solutions to support the optimization of student services. Ability to serve as a manager, mentor, and advocate for team. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Respect and Integrity, Well-being and Sustainability, Equity and Justice, and Innovation and Discovery.Hiring Range
: Approximately $120,000 to mid-$130,000s, commensurate with education and experience. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Nursing - Student AffairsJob Posting:
Jan 19, 2022Unposting Date:
Feb 18, 2022, 11:59:00 PM