The Finance Office of the University of Maryland Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center (UMGCCC) is recruiting for a Senior Accountant
with skills and competency to track spending on grants for its principal investigators, which includes generating and distributing accurate monthly reports, analyzing monthly reports and clearing deficits, and monitoring purchase orders on grant/sponsor projects. This is a partially remote position.UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.Primary Duties:
- Generate and distribute accurate monthly financial reports to assigned principal investigators (PIs).
- Analyze monthly reports and clear deficits.
- Monitor purchase orders on grant/sponsor projects, as well as sub-recipient purchase orders.
- Perform advanced level review and complex analysis of accounting transactions to ensure completeness, accuracy, and conformance with uniform accounting principles and practices. May supervise staff.
- Prepare and review general ledger activities and advance level accounting transactions ensuring completeness, internal accuracy, and conformance with uniform Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Review financial statements for accuracy and compliance, such as income statement, balance sheet, and operating activities cash flows. Ensure accounts are in agreement and identify variances. Investigate discrepancies to determine cause and document correction.
- Ensure details of financial transactions are recorded in journals, ledgers, and automated system by others. Examine and ensure integrity/reliability of the financial accounting system. Work with principal investigators, faculty, or staff members to identify potential ledger discrepancies between financial system and departmental records.
- Verify the accuracy of various internal/external financial ledgers, schedules, exhibits and summaries along with any assigned databases and ensure application of policies, procedures, and acceptable standards.
- Assist in defining and monitoring of financial critical path unit and project activities, resolve issues and escalate complex matters as needed to the appropriate contact(s).
- Utilize quantitative and qualitative approaches to develop financial forecast performance. Assist in the development of short- and long-term forecast for unit.
- Monitor and delegate assigned budgetary transactions (i.e., payroll, accounts receivable, forecasts) on a daily basis.
- Review tangible and intangible asset statements and assist in development of lifecycle asset management plan.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.Experience:
Three (3) years of accounting related experience using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Advanced knowledge of Excel and Quantum Analytics System preferred.Other:
Related experience may be substituted for education. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Respect and Integrity, Well-being and Sustainability, Equity and Justice, and Innovation and Discovery.Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience.UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer CenterJob Posting:
Apr 27, 2022Unposting Date: