Associate Director of Athletic Communications Tracking Code812-280Job Description
The Associate Director of Athletic Communications serves under the Associate AD for Communications and oversees with the day-to-day operations of the NCAA Division I Athletic Communications Office.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Associate Director of Athletic Communications is expected to be proficient -- at a minimum -- in the following areas (on many occasions you will be expected to perform all of these tasks during the same work day):
- Ability to write game previews, post-game recaps, feature stories, coach and staff hiring releases, student-athlete signings, conference and national award releases, schedule releases, both for distribution to the media and for use on GoHatters.com
- On occasion, may be asked to provide written content for various university publications and web pages
- Knowledge of and skill with Adobe InDesign via Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to produce game-day materials via InDesign, such as programs, roster cards, game notes, etc.
- Ability to produce basic and/or semi-complex publications on a regular basis such as record books, on-line media guides, etc.
- Knowledge of and skill with using Adobe PhotoShop through Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to produce myriad graphics throughout the course of your daily/weekly/monthly work such as pregame, in-game and postgame graphics; award-related graphics; promotional graphics; milestones and records
- Ability to manage the graphic design needs of assigned sports
- Knowledge of live video streaming procedures and techniques using Sidearm as the primary platform. This includes technical knowledge of how to produce a live-streamed event.
- Knowledge of streaming using Facebook Live, You Tube, Twitter Media Studio, and other social media platforms
- Ability to manage and utilize departmental and team social media channels which include but may not be limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, You Tube, Snap Chat.
- Consistent posting of pregame, in-game and postgame graphics on twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, many times with multiple sports competing on the same day
- Work with teams and others within the athletic department on creating and maintaining a significant presence on all platforms both in-season and out-of-season
- Perform education of student-athletes on their social media usage and how it impacts their personal brand
Video Production/Live Streaming
- Film, edit and create video-related content including promotional videos, PSAs, interviews for use on GoHatters.com, Stetson Athletics You Tube channel, and social media platforms
- Knowledge of live video streaming procedures, including athletic contests, press conferences, departmental meetings, using a variety of platforms and spaces
- Work with Stetson Broadcast Productions, the university’s live streaming and broadcasting group. This group is responsible for producing all of Stetson’s ESPN+ content in cooperation with the ASUN Conference. The Associate Director will work with SBP on broadcasts for soccer, volleyball, basketball, softball and lacrosse, while assisting with live and recorded press conferences and interviews for the ASUN.
In-game Statistics & Records Upkeep
- Basic knowledge and proper understanding of sports statistics for multiple sports
- Stetson Communications is responsible for reporting in-game and cumulative statistics to the NCAA and ASUN Conference in the following sports:
- Volleyball/Beach Volleyball
- The Associate Director of Athletic Communications is charged with the exceptionally important tasks of maintaining accurate records and results for all assigned sports. Understanding of how to properly execute these tasks is crucial to the job.
- Familiarity with stat collection programs such as Statcrew and NCAA Live Stats
- Familiarity with live stats programs and formats such as Statbroadcast and Sidearm
Supervise, Schedule & Train Students, including GAs, Interns and Work Study Students
- Train and supervise all student workers (GA, intern and work study)
- Schedule student work hours around academic workloads
- The ability to work with college students who need significant training is key
- The ability to properly and professionally train the student work force is critical to our success
- Members of the Stetson Communications Office are frequently expected to provide photographic assistance. The Associate Director of Athletic Communications should be proficient in the use of a digital 35mm camera and other photographic devices when needed.
- Stetson Athletic Communications uses PhotoShelter as our photo storage solution, and the Associate Director of Athletic Communications will be expected to use PhotoShelter as a means to not only store and organize photos for their respective sports but also to promote the site as a means of revenue generation for the department.
- Stetson Athletics uses Sidearm as our web partner. Experience with the operation of Sidearm and/or other similar website providers is essential.
- The Athletic Communications Office is primarily responsible for content on the athletics web site, GoHatters.com, and the Associate Director of Athletic Communications plays a crucial role in that function.
- Provide first-class service to media members covering Stetson Athletics
- Respond to all media requests in a timely and professional manner
- Coordinate media interviews with student-athletes and coaches
- Keep a personal connection with local reporters with Stetson as their beat
- Communicate in a timely and professional manner with opposing SIDs
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- General publicity for Stetson University Athletics
- Handle game day operations, all media requests, and travel as required for assigned sports
- Documenting and distribution of game schedules, rosters, statistics, and program inserts
- Generate and prepare athlete's information for conference and national awards
- Maintenance of Stetson Athletics Web Page with emphasis on information, appearance, and timeliness
- Serve as Media Coordinator for Stetson hosted tournaments
- Assist Associate AD for Communications, Licensing and Branding with other assignments
- Compliance with all NCAA, ASUN Conference, Pioneer Football League, Stetson University, and Athletics Department rules, regulations, and policies.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
- Excellent writing, editing and desktop publishing skills
- A creative mind
- Strong verbal communication ability
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally
- Possess strong interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Bachelor's degree required in communications or related field
- Expertise in relevant computer programs, especially Adobe Creative Suite, which includes Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, and other programs
- Knowledge of NCAA Live Stats/Genius, Statcrew, The Automated Scorebook is required.
- General knowledge of statistics in assigned sports is required
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record as determined by the University’s auto insurance carrier.
Salary Grade: 6
Completed COVID-19 Vaccine status required
Job LocationDeLand, Florida, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular