Senior Dental Assistant, Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, 28007 Location:
UMKC Hospt Hill Campus Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, School of Dentistry
Job Description The School of Dentistry Orthodontics Department is seeking Senior Dental Assistant to serve the needs of students, residents, faculty, patients, and their families and other staff. This position is essential to our core instructional and service missions. The Advanced Education in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics Clinic has approximately 250 patient visits per week with goals to expand. This Senior Dental Assistant communicates with patients and their parents/guardians regarding treatment, provides actively assists the residents/faculty with direct patient care with the full and part-time faculty and residents. Additional responsibilities include maintaining clinic supplies and equipment as well as performing other duties as assigned by the Clinic Manager, Advanced Education Program Directors, and Department Chair. The Senior Dental Assistant has the key responsibilities of ordering clinical supplies, overseeing clinical equipment function and maintenance, coordinating with orthodontic supply company representatives for donated and purchased supplies, assembling and maintaining the Material Safety Data book for the AEO Clinic. Coordinating out-going external orthodontic laboratory prescriptions, appliances, and fees charged with the program director. Experience in digital dentistry including patient scanning, using digital software, and 3d printing are highly desired. The Senior Dental Assistant must exercise good judgement based on previous experience, practices, and precedents to identify and solve problems that arise in the AEO Clinic in consultation with department faculty. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare dental treatment areas through disinfection and sterilization
- Prepare, sterilize, disinfect, and maintain dental instruments, supplies and equipment
- Greeting and seating patients as they arrive
- Actively prepare and assist doctors with all facets of screenings, consults, and orthodontic treatment visits
- Keep the patient's mouth clean and dry during procedures
- Assist with obtaining needed x-rays (including but not limited to panoramic, cephalometric and periapicals)
- Instruct patients on proper dental hygiene
- Assist in delegated charting within the electronic health record
- Maintain proper inventory of supplies stocked at all times
- Answering questions or directing the appropriate questions to the doctors
- Maintaining the highest standards in regard to patient safety, privacy and OHSA protocols
- Assist with digital workflow including coordinating 3d print jobs, maintaining printers, and maintaining printer supplies
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- At least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
- Certifications as required by regulatory agencies is necessary
- Preference given to Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) Certification OR Passing the Missouri Test of Basic Dental Assisting Skills (MBDA)
- Preference given to Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA) with Orthodontics permit
- Excellent customer service skills with an outgoing, people friendly personality.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Desire to learn new skills and expand your potential/
- Demonstrated ability to display a positive attitude and enthusiasm throughout the workday.
- Ability to coordinate treatment with resident to preparing them to work effectively with a dental assistant.
- Dedication to teamwork and ability to adjust to the demands of a flexible and fluid schedule.
Full Time/Part Time
Full time, 40 hours per week, benefit-eligible staff position
$15.29 to $19.00 per hour, commensurate with experience and education
Review of applications will begin immediately; position will remain open until filled. Apply today!
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of five references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800) 488-5288.
Note, you must provide a description of job duties for each Work Experience entry on your application. Please carefully review the application instructions section of our Careers page prior to submitting your materials.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
UMKC Statement on Diversity Diversity, equity and inclusion are central to the UMKC mission as an urban-serving institution. Kansas City is a particularly diverse city, including African, African American, Asian, German, Irish, Italian, Latino, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Native American and Slavic communities. Such ethnic diversity, in addition to our thriving neighborhoods of the Westside, Northeast Kansas City and the Eastside, fosters creativity, connection and innovation, which is showcased across the region. Major attractions such as the Annual Ethnic Enrichment Festival, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, the Filipino Cultural Center, the American Jazz Museum, Guadalupe Centers and Mattie Rhodes and Kansas City Irish Fest are a small sample of the many ways our diverse city enriches us. For the reasons enumerated above, UMKC’s strategic plan prioritizes our commitment to multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion. The university’s values call upon its faculty, staff, students and community to position themselves as global citizens who seek out, embrace and celebrate the many benefits of diversity. UMKC received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award in 2019 in recognition of our continued commitment to equity and inclusion. Such commitment is demonstrated across teaching, service and research. We welcome applicants to share in our commitment to these core values and know that you will quickly understand the beauty of calling Kansas City your home. Please visit these pages to learn more about UMKC’s engagement in diversity, equity and inclusion. Roos Advocate for Community Change The Division of Diversity and Inclusion Annual Report Multicultural Student Affairs
A completed COVID-19 vaccination series is required unless exempted for medical or religious reason.
Benefit Eligibility Why UMKC?
We offer full benefits that start day one, generous paid time off (including personal time, vacation time, and sick time), paid winter break, and continuing education benefits. Visit our Total Rewards page to learn more. https://info.umkc.edu/hr/total-rewards/ Compensation Calculator
This calculator is a decision-making tool for prospective employees considering a career with the University of Missouri (UM) System. Compensation is bigger than just the salary you earn. It includes how much the university subsidizes your insurance, what kinds of retirement plans are available to you, the number of paid leave days you can earn, and more. Use this calculator to help compare your current compensation with what UM can offer. https://www.umsystem.edu/forms/compensation_calculator
Also, explore the Total Rewards website to learn more about the rewards package we offer to acknowledge our employees as the university's most important resource. https://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards Educational Tuition Assistance
UMKC Offers a robust Educational (Tuition) Assistance plan for benefit-eligible employees and their dependents. Visit our webpage for more information: https://www.umkc.edu/insider/posts/2020/09/educational-assistance-and-tuition-reduction-program-process-update.html