University Fellow(s) - President's Leadership ProgramPosition Number:
Full TimeSensitive Position:
NoSensitive Position Statement:
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. Campus Security Authority:
This is NOT a sensitive position.
YesCampus Security Authority Statement:
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.Designated Personnel:
YesDesignated Personnel Statement:
This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.Statement of Economic Interest:
NoStatement of Economic Interest Statement:
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.Restricted Position:
NoRestricted Position Statement:
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding. Chief Objective of Position:
This is NOT a restricted position.
The President’s Leadership Program Fellow will support the President’s Leadership Program (PLP) by welcoming and orienting new students to Christopher Newport University and the President’s Leadership Program. This position is generally a one-year appointment.Work Tasks:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required:
- Work with individual PLP students, particularly first year students, regarding transition issues, developing their leadership qualities, and contributing to the CNU and local communities.
- Assist in the oversight of the areas of Experiential Learning, Student Success and Leadership Development.
- Assist with overall programming efforts, presentations, and annual events.
- Oversee general communication to current students through the PLP Weekly, Social Media, and individual outreach.
- Review and communicate safety issues to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence.
- Develop and maintain very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrate a positive and professional attitude and treat everyone with dignity and respect. Fully support the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
- This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated organizational and time management skills. Must be highly motivated, innovative and creative. Strong computer skills. Ability to foster positive internal and external public relations. Ability to work both independently and on a team.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred:
- Presentation skills
- Service-oriented attitude
- Affinity for social media
Must be a December 2021 or May 2022 graduate of Christopher Newport University and a graduate of the President’s Leadership Program at Christopher Newport University. Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree from Christopher Newport University.Experience Required:
Significant demonstrated experience providing leadership to peers.Experience Preferred:
Prior experience and involvement with extracurricular activities and community service.CNU Information:
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 387 Best Colleges: 2022 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 5,000 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 3rd among public regional universities in the South and 6th overall, and has recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus. Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu. Posting Number:
AP174PNumber of Vacancies:
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Review of applications will begin November 7, 2021.Applications received after November 7, 2021, will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check. Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145. Quick Link for Internal Postings:
https://jobs.cnu.edu/postings/12062EEO Statement :
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: