Medical Assisting Instructor (Full-Time) Fresno City College
State Center Community College District
3/11/2022 at 11:55 PM
Fresno City College
At Fresno City College we value the ability to serve students from a broad range of cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, abilities and orientations. We prioritize applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits a diverse student population brings to a community college. The successful faculty member will be an equity-minded individual committed to student success by collaborating with faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners who are also dedicated to closing equity gaps. An equity-minded individual is a person who:
- Understands the importance of holding ourselves accountable as educators for closing equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices;
- Reframes inequities as a problem of practice and views the elimination of inequities as an individual and collective responsibility;
- Encourages positive race-consciousness and embraces human difference;
- Reflects on institutional and teaching practices and aims to create a culturally responsive teaching environment; and
- Strategically builds buy-in and participation among colleagues for equity-related initiatives.
Fresno City College seeks faculty members who value mentorship and working in a collegial, collaborative environment, guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve their educational goals. Divisions strongly encourage collaboration across disciplines to create inclusive, integrated, and interdisciplinary learning experiences. Fresno City College faculty are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to use, different learning and teaching methods appropriate to the students they serve. Faculty members should be open and willing to participate in culturally relevant professional development that will help them prepare for the population of students who attend Fresno City College.
The ideal candidate will share Fresno City College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. For the 2020/2021 academic year, we enrolled over 21,500 students in which 60% identify as Latinx, 12% as Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% as Black/African American, 18% as White, 1% as American Indian/Alaska Native, and 4% as multiracial. Fresno City College is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in Medical Assisting on the Fresno City College campus and/or at off-site community campus locations, the instructor will be responsible for:
- Teaching a full range of theory and clinical classes in medical assisting education;
- Serving as a clinical facilitator with responsibility for the overall quality of clinical instruction as a component of the program, including ordering instructional supplies, coordinating clinical assignments, ensuring that communication is regular and effective between the college and the community;
- Ensuring that college teaching is compatible with clinical practice;
- Participating in curriculum and program development and/or revision, including program review and the development and assessment of student learning outcomes for courses and programs to improve student learning;
- Communicating effectively with students and staff;
- Participating in student recruiting activities;
- Advising students;
- Collaborating with high school partners for dual enrollment classes;
- Participating in appropriate professional meetings and workshops;
- Cooperating with regard to scheduling classes between colleagues in the same disciplines;
- Serving on and attending department, college, and district committees as needed;
- Assisting in the advancement of the institutional mission and goals;
- Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom; AND
- Bachelor’s degree or higher AND two years directly related professional experience; OR
- Associate’s AND six years directly related professional experience; OR
- A valid California Community College Credential; OR
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
If the degrees posted on your transcript(s) do not match EXACTLY
as stated above, you MUST
petition for equivalency.
Conditions of Employment:
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree in any allied health career;
- Three or more years current clinical experience as a medical assistant;
- Related occupational experience;
- Teaching experience;
- Ability to represent the college while working with the clinical sites and to work cooperatively with all professional practitioners;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students and staff;
- Related work and professional experience;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
177 duty days per year.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting annual salary is $60,678 – $91,350 based on education and experience. An annual doctoral stipend of $2,270 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teacher’s Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness and
to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement
, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview.
The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the “recommended candidates”. These candidates will be forwarded to the
and College President for final interviews.
A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval.
State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants. SCCCD EEO Plan
For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1171 Fulton St, Fresno, California, 93721, (559) 243-7100. For information on Fresno City College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. FMA-INS (Slot# 2418).Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility and must be submitted through the district’s online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
This is a full-time, tenure track position. The District may fill more than one position from this pool.State Center Community College District (SCCCD) provides students with a rich and dynamic learning experience that embraces differences emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders. When you join our team at SCCCD, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners.FRESNO CITY COLLEGE
About the College
As the very first community college in California, Fresno City College has a proud history of leadership in education and preparing generations of students for their future. Fresno City College is nestled near the lively Tower District and minutes from downtown Fresno, brick buildings and towering trees tell the long story of this historic institution. It is committed to academic excellence and diversity, equity and inclusion among its faculty, classified professionals, and students. The college takes responsibility for equitable outcomes and successful pathways for all students.MISSION
As California’s first community college, Fresno City College provides quality, innovative educational programs and support services directed toward the enhancement of student success, lifelong learning and the economic, social, and cultural development of our students and region.VISION STATEMENT
As educational leaders in the community, Fresno City College faculty, classified professionals, and students will engage in a partnership to transform lives through education.CORE VALUES
Growth – We are committed to sharing and exploring new ideas through collaboration, respect for diversity, promoting equity, and professional development.
Leadership – We are leaders in our community, dedicated to behaving ethically, committed to open communication, and good stewards of our resources.
Success – We champion excellence, quality, celebrating individual differences, and providing a positive and supportive environment for all.FCC Institutional Research Site
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency