Job no: 511689
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Computer Science
Categories: College of Information & Computer Sciences
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Executive Director of the Center for Data Science, responsible for the design, installation, and maintenance of data systems software, utilities and enhancements to support the research developments in the Center for Data Science (CDS).
- Design, implement and maintain advanced information retrieval systems, text extraction systems and machine learning systems.
- Code, debug, and document programs to implement software system capabilities.
- Assist in experimental evaluation of new techniques relevant to the above systems.
- Interact with industrial partners to facilitate technology transfer.
- Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet department, college, or university goals and objectives.
- Understand responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behave in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contribute toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration. Provide professional and helpful customer service to colleagues, partners, students, and the university community.
- Understand and contribute to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that supports diversity.
- Use access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercise care to prevent unnecessary disclosures.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and at least 2 years of related professional experience. One (1) year of experience may be substituted per one (1) year of required academia.
- Ability to implement and maintain one or more of machine learning, natural language processing, and computer vision models.
- Programming skills in Python, preferably honed in a professional environment.
- Ability to program using UNIX, Networks and shell scripts.
- Demonstrated experience with building software systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively, and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to work both independently and to be part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write concisely, express thoughts clearly, and develop ideas in a logical sequence.
- Independent initiative. Must have the ability to stay on task and work productively with a minimum amount of supervision or guidance.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality as required.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Experience in one or more of the following: information retrieval, natural language processing, text and information extraction processing, and database systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
This is a two-year, grant-funded position. Continuation of this appointment is contingent upon the availability of funding.
37.5 hours per week.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jan 14 2022 Eastern Standard Time