PG191410EPInternal Recruitment :
Program SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range:
Normal working hours will be 8a to 5p Monday through Friday with extended hours during the summer program season. Evening and weekend hours may be required to support programs.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Shelton Leadership Center About the Department:
The General H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center (SLC) was founded in 2002 following his retirement as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. General Shelton (’63) believes in the importance of developing the next generation of values-based leaders and established the SLC at his alma mater to achieve this aim. Our core values are honesty, integrity, diversity, social responsibility, and compassion. With these values as the foundation, our mission is to inspire, educate and develop values-based leaders committed to personal integrity, professional ethics and selfless service. In our work, we serve precollege, college, and professional audiences. Essential Job Duties:
The responsibilities within this role as the Program Specialist will be:
- Provide administrative support for the Shelton Challenge, including coordinating, executing & evaluating the program;
- Process participant and staff applications for the Shelton Challenge;
- Assist with selection and training of program volunteer staff for the Shelton Challenge;
- Serve as on-site leadership for 2-3 overnight, 6 day, residential summer programs;
- Assist with the assessment and benchmarking of the Shelton Challenge;
- Assist with development and execution of new Pre-College initiatives for the Center;
- Assist with administrative responsibilities related to communication projects for the Shelton Challenge and the Center;
- Establish and maintain productive and collaborative professional work relationships with all audiences associated with the Center;
- Assist with oversight of summer interns responsible for supporting Shelton Challenge initiatives, as needed;
- Supervise work study students responsible for supporting pre-college program initiatives, as needed;
- Maintain the Shelton Challenge database;
- Respond to communications received to the Shelton Challenge email account;
- Support contractual programs and Center needs, as assigned;
- Promote program goals and objectives of the Center;
- Assist with the planning and implementation of various leadership programs and services as part of a program/project team on behalf of the Center;
- Assist with the development and implementation of assessment methods for programs and events within the Center;
- Facilitate trainings to partner groups on campus;
- Participate in Shelton Leadership Center staff meetings;
- Use active listening to assure mutual understanding through shared information and viewpoints.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years of experience related to the area of assignment.Other Required Qualifications:
Experience assisting with leadership program planning and implementation.Preferred Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3-5 years of experience working with pre-college students; or the equivalent combination of training and experience in Social Sciences, Leadership; or Education. Required License(s) or Certification(s):
Master’s Degree preferred, in Student Affairs, Counseling, or Higher Education fields, with experience working with pre-college students.
Experience supporting administrative program planning, deliverables and implementation, experience with leadership and student programming.
Valid North Carolina Driver’s License required & must be able to obtain within 30 days of hire. Valid NC Driver's License required:
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
12/17/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until FilledSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Interviews will begin in January 2022.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
341001 - Shelton Leadership CenterAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.