The Residence Hall Director provides oversight of a residential community including community development, facility management and educational opportunities. The Residence Hall Director is an educator who centers students' experiences, learnings, well-being, growth, and development throughout all aspects of their responsibilities and provides direct supervision to student staff members. This position also supports and responds to issues related to students in distress during and after regular business hours, and serves as resource and referral agent for campus and community resources.
This is a live-in position that reports to the Interim Director of Residential Life.
- Manage the daily operation of a residence hall area including supervision of student staff members, management of facilities and hall operations, creating an inclusive community, and facilitating conflict resolution.
- Develops positive relationships with hall residents and other students through availability, counseling, and advising
- Serve as a conduct hearing officer for residential students. Maintain a presence in the residence halls and on-campus during business hours, occasional evening and weekend programming, and while on-call.
- Use knowledge of student development theory to implement educational opportunities and foster learning in the residence halls.
- Develop, implement and participate in Residential Life functions such as student staff recruitment, selection, and training.
- Partners with campus colleagues to develop and facilitate social engagement and educational workshops for residential students.
- Serve as a member of the Macalester on-call team (crisis/emergency response) via rotating campus-wide duty coverage.
- Must live in a provided on campus apartment.
- Bachelor’s degree required with 1+ years of residential life live-in experience post Baccalaureate degree.
- Knowledge of student learning and development, particularly in a residential living environment. Strong commitment to diversity and social justice with an understanding of how to advance a culture that is welcoming and inclusive.
- Strong commitment to diversity and social justice with an understanding of how to advance a culture that is welcoming and inclusive.
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible and work with ambiguity.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with various deadlines while maintaining community presence and availability to students.
- Proficient in basic office software and/or productivity applications.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, Counseling, or related field.
- Previous experience in collegiate on-campus housing department
This is a 12-month salaried position with a cash salary of $40,000 annually. A fully furnished one or two-bedroom apartment with in-unit laundry provided. Partners and children are welcome. A meal plan is provided to RHDs when food services are available. One pet is allowed with approval, including cats, dogs, and fish. Free on-campus parking is provided with a reserved Residence Hall Director parking spot. This position offers free access to Macalester Athletic facilities including a +1pass for a family member, partner, or friend. Support for professional development is provided.
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities. Priority will be given to candidates that apply by January 21, 2022. Review of applications will begin immediately.
All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
[email protected] Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester College has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit Macalester Benefits for more information about what Macalester has to offer its employees.