Department of Mathematics
Assistant Professor in Statistical Machine Learning
with research interests in the area of Statistical Machine Learning, inclusive of the Mathematics of Machine Learning, Machine Learning, Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, and Computational Statistics. We seek outstanding applicants with a demonstrated track record of excellence in research and teaching. Successful candidates are expected to develop vigorous, extramurally funded research programs in their areas of expertise, actively participate in the Department's teaching and curriculum development at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and mentor undergraduate and graduate students. Evidence of interest and success in mentoring underrepresented students is highly desired.
Howard University, a culturally diverse, comprehensive, research intensive and historically Black private university, provides an educational experience of exceptional quality at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels to students of high academic standing and potential, with particular emphasis upon educational opportunities for Black students. Howard University is currently classified as an R2 research university with aspirations and actions underway to achieve R1 status within the next few years. It is a residential campus of approximately 12,000 students located in the heart of the nation’s capital, Washington, DC.
The Department of Mathematics currently consists of forty-five faculty members, conducting pure and applied research with specializations in Algebra and Number Theory, Analysis and Geometry, Applied Mathematics, and Probability and Statistical Sciences. It offers BS, MS, and PhD degrees in Mathematics with foci in Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistical Sciences, and is a leading unit in the STEM Interdisciplinary major.
· Earned doctorate in machine learning, statistical sciences with focus on machine learning, computational statistics or closely related disciplines from an accredited institution;
· Record of scholarship, teaching, and professional service commensurate with the rank of assistant professor;
· Effective communication and organizational skills; and
· Evidence of potential for successful grant writing.
Complete applications consist of a single PDF file containing
1) Cover letter addressing qualifications listed above;
2) Current curriculum vita;
3) Two-page statement of research accomplishments, interests and future plans;
4) Two-page statement of teaching experience and philosophy; and
5) Names and contact information for at least three references who will provide letters upon request from the search committee.
Completed applications should be addressed to the Chair of the search committee, Dr. Katharine Gurski, and submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Screening will begin on February 7, 2022 and continue until the position is filled. The desired starting date is August 16, 2022. Additional details and information can be found at http://mathematics.howard.edu.
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.