FRESNO PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
CLINICAL FACULTY: Literacy in the Division of Teacher Education
POSITION: Full-time, clinical faculty position, with rank; non-tenure track; 10-month faculty appointment in the School of Education.
STARTING DATE: July 1, 2022
Currently, there is a great deal of interest in the Central Valley by school districts to hire highly qualified teachers who understand recent shifts in literacy education, including the newly revised Teaching Performance Expectations in Literacy from the California Teaching Commission, the Common Core State Standards, the most current ELA/ELD framework and new research regarding Foundational Reading. Fresno Pacific University has sustained a strong reputation for preparing all teachers to develop expertise in teaching within literacy domains. This need has led to a growth in the Masters in Reading Program at Fresno Pacific University and the associated Reading and Literacy Added Authorization.
The primary assignment for this position is within the division of teacher education (pre-service candidates seeking the multiple subjects or special education credential). The secondary position is within the MA in Reading/Language Arts. Qualified candidates should have a deep knowledge of literacy and related fields in education and should be able to support both future and practicing teachers as they grow into effective teachers and literacy leaders.
Fresno Pacific is seeking a clinical faculty member who will bring to this position a record of recent successful teaching in K-6 classrooms and/or a strong record of teaching reading/language arts to pre-service or in-service teachers. The clinical faculty member will apply his/her knowledge of current research in the field of reading/language arts to the challenge of preparing future multiple subjects and special education teachers to address the reading and language needs of all their students, including struggling readers and students who come from non-standard English backgrounds.
As a clinical faculty member, in addition to teaching methods courses, this literacy faculty will teach field experience seminars and supervise and evaluate student teachers and interns enrolled in FPU’s credential programs. This clinical faculty member will also teach advanced literacy courses and practicum courses to in-service teachers enrolled in Fresno Pacific’s Master’s Degree Program in Reading/Language Arts.
- Teach reading and language arts methods courses for the multiple subjects’ and special education credential students.
- Teach pre-service credential program field experience seminar courses.
- Teach courses in the Master of Arts Degree program in Reading and Language Arts.
- Regularly serve as Clinical Supervisor of pre-service credential students.
- As Lead Instructor for FPU’s pre-service reading methods courses, support and coach adjunct instructors teaching these courses.
- In support of established district partnerships, provide professional development workshops on requested topics concerned with literacy.
- Maintain professional memberships appropriate to teacher educators and literacy professors.
- MA in Education.
- Recent successful classroom experience teaching in K-6 classrooms or coaching and supporting K-6 teachers.
- Recent evidence of successful experience teaching literacy courses to college or post-BA students.
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment.
- Ability to multi-task, solve problems and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Information oriented computer skills.
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement and/or professional contributions to partner districts and other educational institutions focused on reading/language arts.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Terminal Degree.
- MA in Reading or Language, Literacy and Culture.
- Familiarity and/or experience working in the field of teacher education.
- Knowledge of a language other than English (Spanish preferred).
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement.
Fresno Pacific University is the only accredited Christian university founded in the Central Valley. FPU connects every student’s untapped potential with unlimited opportunity for professional, personal and ethical growth. FPU offers undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation to more than 3,500 traditional and adult students on the main campus in southeast Fresno and regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 8,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, and is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 47 percent. FPU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. Both U.S. News and Washington Monthly include FPU on their “Best Value” and “Best Bang for the Buck” lists, U.S. News places it at number 13 in its category for student social mobility and Money has ranked it at number 11 among 50 Best Colleges for Transfer Students. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific Idea at fresno.edu/about/fpu_idea.
COMPENSATION: Dependent on qualifications and experience and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA).
APPLICATION: A faculty application is available at http://www.fresno.edu/visitors/careers - the link is in the job description on the FPU website.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Gary Gramenz, PhD
Dean, School of Education
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue, Box 2001
Fresno, CA 93702
OR: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.