Search #: 495973JOB SUMMARY
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Student Programs and Services
The mission of the Health Promotion team within Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) is to mobilize the UConn community to cultivate the conditions that foster student wellbeing, empower students, and address health inequities – amplifying the voices of oppressed communities. Under the general direction of the Director of Health Promotion and Community Impact and leading a team of Health Education and Health Promotion professionals, the Health Promotion Manager contributes to this mission by developing, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive community health and wellness education program focused on providing every UConn student, staff, and faculty member with the information and skills they need to support student well-being.
Taking a public health approach, the Health Promotion Manager engages the campus in proactive and sustainable initiatives focused on building resource awareness, resiliency, self and community-care, transferable skill-building, and compassionate and effective bystander intervention which are aligned with UConn’s emerging student wellness framework. The goal is to apply evidence-based and evidence-informed practices to cultivate the campus community’s capacity to deliver developmentally and culturally appropriate programs that meet both the universal and unique wellness needs of UConn students, as well as promote lifelong well-being.
Health Promotion Managers typically possess expertise and/or experience in the area(s) of student health and wellness that complements the expertise of the professional team; and engage content experts outside of Health Promotion and Student Health and Wellness, when needed, to address knowledge gaps and to attend to emerging campus health and wellness issues. Given the dynamic nature of community health and wellness, candidates should be comfortable with ambiguity and possess the ability to thrive in a fluid environment.
SHaW is committed to diversity and inclusion, competence in working with culturally and ethnically diverse populations, and awareness of how issues of difference, power, and privilege manifest in higher education environments. The ideal candidate promotes health equity and reduces health disparities by demonstrating and supporting an understanding, sensitivity, and appreciation for health equity, social justice, cultural humility, and inclusiveness. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assesses the training and education needs of the UConn community to support student wellbeing, and strategically coordinates and sustainably delivers program services and activities in accordance with program goals, objectives, and best practices following a research-based approach. Monitors compliance with departmental and university policies and procedures.
- Leads, consults, and participates in planning, development, design, and evaluation of community wellness education activities. Collects and analyzes program data and participates in evaluating program effectiveness, develops performance objectives, identifies problems, and makes necessary changes.
- Manages the work of professional and/or student staff, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations. Recommends staffing needs and assists in the recruitment, selection, and ongoing development of staff.
- Advocates for and implements practices to operationalize diversity, equity, and inclusion in all work functions and responsibilities.
- Serves as a subject leader and primary community wellness education expert to students, staff, and others on programmatic policies, procedures, and activities.
- Develops a strong network of relationships with University constituents to maintain and develop programming partnerships, and facilitates broader campus discussions to coordinate prevention and wellness education.
- Collaborates and consults with internal and external departments on joint programs and projects. Assesses and mitigates risk for all programmatic activities.
- Performs office management duties for all aspects of the community wellness education program. Determines workflow, monitors, and processes necessary paperwork and maintenance of records.
- Makes budget recommendations and monitors approved budget and expenditures for areas of responsibility. Assists in identifying resources and funding sources as needed.
- Oversees training and research activities that may be conducted regarding community wellness education and health promotion work.
- Oversees the marketing and promotional activities for the community wellness education program, as well as other initiatives within the area of responsibility.
- Leads planning for outreach programs, conferences, meetings, and seminars on community wellness and student wellbeing.
- Actively participates in and/or leads departmental, divisional, and/or campus committees or workgroups as requested.
- Performs related work as required including some evening and weekend activities to reach desired audiences and program objectives.
- Master’s degree in public health, health promotion, and/or related field and at least 4 years of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 6 to 7 years of relevant experience.
- Two years of above experience must be serving as a project lead.
- Previous experience supervising professional, student, or volunteer staff.
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering comprehensive health promotion and/or health education programs.
- Experience conducting needs assessments and using results to guide programmatic decisions.
- Articulated knowledge of health and wellness issues that impact college student success.
- Demonstrated application of evidence-based and evidence-informed health promotion practices.
- Demonstrated understanding of and stated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity issues.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate presentations to large and small audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate information effectively.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills necessary for effective work relationships.
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES), Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS), Certified in Public Health (CPH), Certified College Health and Wellness Professional (CHWP), or eligible to become certified.
- Demonstrated experience delivering health promotion and/or health education programs that achieved measurable improvements in community health.
- Experience working in a college/university setting.
- Demonstrated experience integrating principles of diversity and inclusion into all aspects of program management.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with an anticipated start date as soon as possible. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs
, Staff Positions, Search #495973 to upload a resume, cover letter,
and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Candidates selected to interview may be asked to facilitate a presentation or other activity related to the core job functions. Evaluation of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) is expanding services and is currently hiring for a variety of positions related to students’ mental health and wellness. SHaW encourages qualified applicants to apply for multiple positions of interest.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Jan 05 2022 Eastern Standard Time