Explore Engineering Innovation Teaching Fellow
Explore Engineering Innovation is based on an introductory engineering course taught to undeclared freshmen engineering students at JHU. EEI covers a range of fundamental engineering topics including materials science, computer science, civil, mechanical, and chemical engineering. The course includes lectures but focuses on hands-on lab experiments and group data analysis. Graded coursework includes lab reports, homework assignments, a group presentation, and a design project. At the end of the course, students who earn an A or B receive JHU credit for the course. Ultimately, the goal of the course is to expose students to engineering principles, allow them to apply the math and science they learn in high school to solving real world problems, and to help students develop critical thinking skills.
We are seeking an Explore Engineering Innovation Teaching Fellow
. Candidates should understand, appreciate, and apply an instructional style that emphasizes the process of problem-solving rather than memorizing material. The object is to engage students by getting them to think and participate rather than being lectured to. Each EEI class has a broad range of 16-24 students with diverse backgrounds and Instructors must be prepared to accommodate a multitude of learning styles. Finally, the Teaching Fellow must be able to engage, encourage and excite the students. Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Must be present and available during the entire course.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Must be prepared to spend time independently to review course materials and complete the online training program prior to the first day of the course.
- Must be comfortable with the course material and be able to relate the curriculum to high school students.
- Must work with the Instructor to develop a sense of community for the high school students participating in the class.
- Will answer student questions and provide guidance during labs and projects.
- Must be available for supplementary instruction outside of class hours.
- Will assist Instructors and ensure that students receive their graded assigned work promptly - within 1-2 days of the assignment due date - and provide detailed feedback to students so that they are able to learn from the activity and improve their future performance.
- Will assist Instructors and ensure that grades are posted to the learning management system in a timely manner.
- Must ensure that child safety protocols are upheld.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math discipline
- 3+ years of experience as a high school teacher in a STEM discipline
- Availability to teach July 5 to July 29, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. A few of our sites operate on a different schedule. Please check visit website (http://ei.jhu.edu/locations/) for site-specific dates and times.
- ***Availability to participate in pre-course training ***
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Engineering.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
- Excellent classroom management skills.
- Knowledge of Algebra II and Trigonometry.
- Familiarity with Canvas or similar LMS.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams.
- Proficient with Zoom or similar video conferencing software.
- Access to remote/virtual work environment for training prior to course.
- Physical presence required during the course.
Classified Title: Teaching Assistant Engineering
Working Title: Explore Engineering Innovation Teaching Fellow
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OI
Starting Salary Range: $29.72 - $40.85/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: M-F, 8-5, some weekends and evenings
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: CEO Instructors and Students
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Explore-Engineering-Innovation-Teaching-Fellow-MD-21218/830287500/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency