The Humanities Specialist position supports and facilitates the operation of the McGillicuddy Humanities Center.
The Clement and Linda McGillicuddy Humanities Center advances teaching, research and public knowledge of the humanities. At UMaine we support humanities scholarship and interdisciplinary collaborations by students and faculty, we encourage collaborations between UMaine and Maine's K-12 teachers and students, we establish partnerships with arts and humanities institutions in Maine, and we share UMaine's humanities resources with the people of Maine.
By developing and supporting programs that engage art, literature, history, philosophy, politics, and diverse cultures, the Clement and Linda McGillicuddy Humanities Center aims to enrich the lives of all Maine citizens. For more information about the center visit: https://umaine.edu/mhc/.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and keeps up-to-date all aspects connected to the digital profile of MHC and its partners, primarily the website and social media. Maintains and continues to build the MHC audio-visual digital archive.
- Meets at least weekly with the MHC Director to review the Center’s needs and strategize about opportunities to enhance the Center’s operations, visibility, and profile. Alerts the Director to relevant media concerning the Humanities at the local, national, and international level. Provides support to the Director in public relations and day-to-day operations of the Center.
- Manages and provides oversight for student engagement programs in the humanities, such as the Engaged Black Bear and Humanities Fellows programs. Attends and takes minutes at all Faculty Advisory Board meetings.
- Assists with planning, staffing, audio-visual documentation, and refreshments for MHC events. In concert with Marketing and Communications and Printing Services, creates and distributes publicity and promotion for MHC events.
- Helps to organize an annual Humanities Day off-campus in a local community (Bangor, Orono, etc.). Builds productive relationships with internal and external constituencies and serves as a liaison between the MHC and area businesses and community groups.
- Attends and represents the MHC at Center-sponsored and other humanities-themed campus and community events. Staffs an MHC table at campus recruitment and retention events such as Welcome Week, Accepted Students Days and/or Homecoming fairs, and at relevant state-wide events such as the Maine Archives and Museums annual conference and others.
- Provides substantial assistance to MHC Director in seeking grant funding for MHC activities, writing proposal text and working in concert with Office of Grant Development staff.
- Assures that the MHC office is maintained as a welcoming, organized, and usable space for student and faculty humanities meetings and activities.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships that reflect courtesy, civility, and mutual respect.
- Builds productive relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Utilizes coaching and mentoring methods which provide an environment that is anticipatory, supportive, and encourages constructive feedback on performance.
- Commits to organizational improvement by identifying opportunities to improve, and recommending possible alternatives for a situation.
- Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s in a Humanities or Arts discipline.
- Expertise in a variety of digital media and platforms such as Adobe Suite, Google Workspace, WordPress, MailChimp, Facebook, and lnstagram.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Master's degree in a Humanities discipline.
- Education and/or experience in public humanities.
- Demonstrated skill in publicity design.
- Demonstrated skill organizing and executing successful public events, in person and/or virtually.
- Demonstrated experience in interdisciplinary and campus-community collaborations.
- Demonstrated experience in grant proposal writing.
- Record of success in supporting undergraduate student research projects.