S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting is looking for an Associate Law School Admissions Consultant to help bring the company to the next level. This is an exciting opportunity to join a successful and growing educational start-up company as it looks to grow and reach more students. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, creative, energetic, and curious. This position is a 100% remote, full-time W2 position. Flexible hours. Great for those looking for more work-life balance and who want to impact lives outside of a traditional 9-5.
Starting salary range $65,000-80,000/year commensurate with experience. Opportunity for equity share after 3+ years. Paid vacation and sick time. Paid maternity/paternity leave after 1 year. Reimbursement of health care costs.
Here at S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting, we don't make promises about schools, we make promises about students. We specialize in working with first-generation and minority law school candidates and often work with a non-traditional population that includes single mothers, veterans, domestic and sexual abuse survivors, undocumented students, and more. In the US, only 5% of lawyers are Black, 5% of lawyers are Latinx, and only 2.99% of lawyers identify as LGBTQ. Only 2% of lawyers are Black women. Black and Latinx lawyers *and* women of all races borrow more for law school, graduate with more debt, and make less after law school than their counterparts. Here at S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting, we work to actively combat this and dismantle systemic barriers to access to legal education. We serve students of all socioeconomics through free online content, online courses, group programs, and private consulting. In order to raise up the next generation of lawyers and change agents, we believe it starts with access to quality and ethical admissions consulting. We continue to foster community by providing mentorship and professional development opportunities to students throughout their time in law school and after graduation so that they can excel.
We are a faith-based organization, but candidates do not need to be Christian, or of any faith at all. Our students represent every faith culture and many do not subscribe to any faith culture. To us, being a faith-based organization means that we serve the whole person. The law school application process (and the legal field as a whole) is unnecessarily stressful. We prioritize and try to infuse mindfulness, mental health, and wellness into the process to combat rising anxiety in our students. We infuse laughter and joy into our meetings, we mentor and bring our whole selves in our interactions with students, and we connect with them on a deeper level. We believe this process should be relational and not transactional. If you enjoy connecting with others, really listening and helping them to tell their authentic story, and you care about shaping the legal minds of the future, this would be a fantastic fit for you.
Ultimately, we're looking for people who want to make S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting their home and make a long-term commitment to our team. We are an educational start-up, and sometimes that means you will wear many hats, but we operate as a team, we care about each other, we grow together, and we want to help team members thrive both professionally and personally. Our weekly team meetings are fun and we have lots of room for collaboration.
The Associate Law School Consultant should be comfortable working and leading students through small group boot camps as well as working one-on-one with students. Qualified applicants should have law school admissions experience or a JD and should be able to speak to the first-generation and/or minority experience. Qualified applicants should also be very comfortable helping students through essays and working within the processes and methods set by the company.
- Working directly with law school applicants on the law school search and application process (both independently and in tandem with Sydney)
- Counseling students to introspectively reflect on their stories and life experiences with a special emphasis on the emotional takeaways of their journey and how it links to their present goals and purposes
- Infusing humor and fun into an objectively stressful process
- Connecting and sharing parts of yourself with students to increase relatability
- Becoming a mentor and confidant to students through their storytelling and writing processes
- Meeting students’ needs holistically, serving them with a person-first approach
- Researching and understanding law school curriculum and class offerings
- Guiding students with internship and extracurricular guidance to enhance law school resume and experience
- Leading students through career and major exploration
- Developing appropriate law school lists based on academic and admissions readiness and career goals
- Aiding students in the essay brainstorming process
- Following our essay development framework for essay development, outlining, and revisions
- Answering student questions on timing, strategy, and supplemental materials
- Guiding students and families through the law school financial aid process
- Assisting students with choosing schools and navigating waitlists
- Conducting research on law schools, attending information sessions, participating in professional development organizations
- Meeting with students regularly to discuss their progress
- Sending email summaries to students after sessions
- Recruiting and attracting new students to S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting
- Communicating effectively with Sydney
- Working collaboratively with other members of the S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting team including attending and participating in team meetings and 1:1 check-ins
- Delivering prompt, friendly, and professional communication to clients via multiple channels, including email, phone, chat, and social media
- Creating content on the law school admissions process through video, blogs, interviews, or podcasts
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1-2 years experience working in admissions at an ABA-accredited law school admissions office OR a J.D. from a top 50 law school
- Experience with a writing center, as a writing tutor, writing online or print articles, or journalism a plus, but not at all required
- Experience and familiarity with millennials and Gen-Z students
- Familiarity with social media and digital technologies
- Evidenced commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Understanding of the lived experiences of first-generation and minority students
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively to parents as well as students
- Ability to work cohesively on a team
- Ability to align with brand messaging and best practices for consulting
- Experience and familiarity with Google Suite (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar)
- Exemplary planning and time management skills
- Open to working evenings and weekends, especially during peak application season
- Self-directed and creative problem-solver
- High level verbal and written communications skills
Qualified candidates will be asked to produce either their own writing sample or a sample essay that they have helped edit for law school applications.
About S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting:
Sydney Montgomery is the owner and founder of S. Montgomery Admissions Consulting which provides personalized law school admissions consulting and college counseling services to pre-law high school students. As the first lawyer in her family, and as a graduate of Princeton and Harvard Law School, Sydney has used her platform since 2012 to help students break down generational barriers and step confidently into their future. Sydney specializes in working with first-generation and minority applicants. Sydney also produces the Mindful Prayers for Students podcast that empower students through faith in their higher education goals.
Sydney received her Bachelor of Arts in English and a Certificate in French Language and Culture from Princeton University, and her Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School. She completed the Independent Educational Consultant Certificate from UC Irvine, Division of Continuing Education. Sydney is a member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling, the Potomac and Chesapeake Association for College Admission Counseling, and currently serves as the Chair of the Graduate Committee and a member of the Ethics Committee of the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA). In 2020, IECA named Sydney one of seven inaugural recipients of the “Making a Difference Award” for positively contributing to the profession and membership. Sydney was named a 2021 Counselor of the Year (PCACAC), a Kappa Alpha Theta 35 Under 35, and one of the 21 Leaders of the 21st Century by Women's eNews.