Job no: 519742
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing
Department:11090000 - RE-TECH LICENSING
Marketing & Comm Specialist
The position of Marketing & Communications Specialist for UF Innovate requires a skilled marketing and communications professional who demonstrates enthusiastic flexibility, a ready-for-anything team approach, good judgment, social media prowess, and experience producing and measuring the success of both digital and print projects. The Marketing & Communications Specialist has the ability to work independently and with a team on complex projects, has proven excellence in writing and graphic design, and delights in providing exceptional customer service to internal and external clients.
UF Innovate is a growing organization that builds business on innovation. It comprises four organizations, Tech Licensing, Ventures, Pathways, and Accelerate, which includes the Sid Martin Biotech and The Hub incubators. Together, these organizations under the UF Innovate umbrella serve as an innovation ecosystem and form a comprehensive system to take technologies from the lab to the marketplace by providing educational resources, facilities, capital, management talent, intellectual property, and technology-transfer expertise. UF Innovate seeks to make the world a better place, and this position is an integral part of accomplishing that mission.
The Marketing & Communications Specialist serves all entities under the UF Innovate umbrella. This person has the capacity to understand complicated science and business terminology and is able to translate technical descriptions into words or images to reach a business or social audience. The Marketing & Communications Specialist is able to work with a variety of startup and small company leaders to amplify their marketing efforts, as well as UF Innovate and UF innovators.
The Marketing & Communications Specialist designs, produces, and consults on a variety of internal and external communications materials and media and leads social media activities, assesses social marketing performance and provides effective monitoring and collaborative approaches to enhance business efforts that protect the brand and messaging of UF Innovate. Duties include staying apprised of news related to UF Innovate or its startups or innovators and sharing it; promoting programs and events; disseminating information for and about UF Innovate and the startup and small growth companies that license UF technologies and/or benefit from the services of one or both incubators; and reviewing analytics reports on marketing activities to determine effectiveness. This position aids in public relations and event promotion and works to ensure brand standards across these platforms, activities and all marketing materials.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Marketing & Communications, the Marketing & Communications Specialist works with a team that also includes a team of interns. This position is part of a team of marketing and communications professionals that innovate and work together to meet the ever-changing needs of each department within the UF Innovate organization.
Marketing through social media
- Implements social media strategies and tactics, builds brand loyalty throughout multiple social networks and ensures that strategies are in-line with appropriate targets, timelines, and techniques.
- Monitors Innovate, startup, innovator, and technology news and develops posts, suggests content, and provides oversight for social media that reflect current trends and news elements and connects UF Innovate startups and innovators and technologies appropriately.
- Further develops the voice and design for office social media posts in the various accounts that reflect the brand and engage clients and future customers.
- Monitors social media accounts and interacts with others who share interests in technology transfer, startup, the local business arena, the university, innovation, etc. to establish or maintain cooperative relationships, develops appropriate lists of contacts to accomplish that more effectively, maintains a list of social media handles for startups and inventors related to UF Innovate.
- Supervises social media interns and works with staff members who help facilitate posts to social media and monitor trends and analytics.
Reporting, analytics, and developing an advocacy program
- Sets up and/or monitors website, email, and social media analytics to determine effectiveness of marketing campaigns, both active and passive.
- Reviews analytics to ensure effectiveness of marketing activities, determines appropriate hashtags to best showcase technologies and companies related to UF Innovate, anticipates trends within the social media platform and identifies business opportunities through systematic analysis.
- Recruits and trains new employee and startup advocates to help share the good Innovate-related news via social media. Creates internal campaigns to encourage and inspire activity as well as tips intended to make social media easier or more effective.
Develops marketing materials for UF Innovate affiliated programs and events:
- Promotes UF Innovate using the power of words, images, sounds, and animation in order to implement effective communication materials and campaigns. This may include shooting photos and videos at events or for social media or website communications.
- Serves as a writer or editor on high-profile materials such as news releases, static pages of the website, and articles for UF and outside publications.
- Maintains and monitors Google News and Meltwater alerts and other digital sources of content. Integrates news feeds, website, social media and other aspects of UF Innovate web presence.
- Aids in the creation and editing of various communication media including brochures, memos, digital communication media for both internal and external audiences, as well as the UF Innovate website.
- Creates and edits promotional materials for events sponsored by UF Innovate, including but not limited to SBIR workshops, the annual inventors’ recognition ceremony, investor events, incubator events. Serves as a member of the planning committee.
- Helps to maintain the UF Innovate PowerPoint presentations for staff members and the office and participates in updating brochures as needed. May serve as or work with graphic designers on various projects, ensures consistency with all marketing materials. Maintain updated statistics, branding and information.
- Designs pictures, drawings, and/or graphic materials using computers or other media.
- Edits materials and presentation drafts for graphic clarity prior to sending to print.
- Communicates artistic themes in fliers, posters, advertising, handbooks or other presentation mediums.
- Maintains files and records of graphic designs; ensures timely completion of all work presented to the graphics unit.
- Develops all artistic work to follow the correct branding while being inventive and imaginative in developing original and creative products.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Due to the virtual nature of the UF Innovate, the employee will assist with other duties that arise as assigned by the Assistant Director of Marketing & Communications.
- Helps monitor the marketing email account and offers quality customer service to internal and external clients.
- Serves all departments under the UF Innovate umbrella and works with the marketing & communications department to complete the wide variety of requests received in a timely and excellent manner.
$50,000-$55,000/annually, commensurate with education and experience.
A bachelor’s degree and three years of experience or an Associate’s degree and five years in an appropriate area of specialization.
- BS in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or relevant field or equivalent.
- Good organizational skills, especially priority setting and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a group.
- Experience with online and print publishing.
- Experience working with the news media.
- Experience supervising student interns.
- Knowledge of social-media management and email newsletter tools.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, applicants must provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of professional references.
A criminal background check is required.
This is not a remote work position, and it is located on the University of Florida main campus in Gainesville, FL.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Health Assessment Required:No
Advertised: 20 Jan 2022 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 03 Feb 2022 Eastern Standard Time