: Division of STEM and Health CareersLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Dec 15, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibilities:
The Cannabis Laboratory Assistant supports, plans, and directs the delivery of instructional support services in the cannabis cultivation laboratory. This position supports teaching and the student experience in the cannabis cultivation lab space while adhering to local state and federal regulations regarding lab safety, hemp and cannabis cultivation. The Cannabis Laboratory Assistant shares their knowledge of cultivation in an instructional laboratory setting.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support, plan, and direct the delivery of instructional support services in the cannabis cultivation laboratory.
2. Prepare and maintain the laboratory space. Maintain a safe environment and review lab procedures, techniques, and equipment with department faculty as needed.
3. Maintain and grow plants for lab activities in a safe and effective way.
4. Provide basic troubleshooting, care, and maintenance for related equipment such as lighting, irrigation, and specialized growth and environmental equipment. Partner closely with Facilities.
5. Prepare for classes and other assignments, including experiment set up and take down, as directed by the department faculty.
6. Assist department faculty in demonstrations and other instructional activities in the cannabis cultivation lab.
7. Assist students during class including answering questions, explaining material, and managing lab safety.
8. Supervise students and student employees in the lab.
9. Coordinate purchase, use and maintenance of supplies, equipment, and educational materials.
10. Maintain a secure environment by monitoring access, maintaining awareness of who is in the lab space, and following security protocols. Partner closely with Public Safety / Oakton Police department.
11. Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Functional supervision is received from the Department Chair and/or Faculty member. Administrative supervision is received from the Division Dean.
Functional supervision is exercised over student employees.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
1. Associate's degree in horticulture or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable skills and abilities can be obtained is required.
2. One year of relevant experience greenhouse or related plant maintenance experience requires, with cannabis cultivation specialty preferred.
3. Experience with and ability to use computer databases. Growth specific software experience, such as Biotrack, preferred.
4. Ability to communicate/interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees, the College community at large, and state regulators.
5. Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
6. Strong integrity and trustworthiness is required. Ability and intent to follow strict security protocols, especially around restricted materials.
7. Organizational skill with strong attention to detail including the ability to adequately establish time frames and deadlines, to meet deadlines, and to follow through.
8. When cannabis is onsite, the ability to comply with requirements for an Illinois Department of Agriculture Agent Card. Specifically, pass a background check, comply with and maintain registration as an agent in charge, and get and maintain a valid agent identification card. This regulatory requirement must be met prior to participating in the College's cannabis curriculum that involves instruction offered in the enclosed, locked facility with onsite cannabis.
1000 hrs experience with cannabis cultivation or horticulture
Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus. Work is performed in a laboratory setting with physical mobility required. May have exposure to heat, chemical solutions, vapors, and smells.
Monday - Thursday 4:15pm-10:30pm
25 hours per week
SALARY: $26.10 hourly. Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate and Mask Requirement.
Oakton Community College does not currently have a work form home policy and employees, are required to report to campus.