: Comunications and MarketingLocations:
: Binghamton, NYPosted:
: Dec 22, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 02125Position ID:
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Senior Staff Assistant (SL-3)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Binghamton University seeks a Communications Manager (CM) to drive a holistic communications strategy that keeps our campus constituents and community informed of and engaged in the university's diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives. This agile team member will report to the Office of Communications and Marketing while serving as the communications advisor to the Vice President of the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DDE&I) and their directors.
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is composed of its administrative office, the Udiversity Educational Institute, the Multicultural Resource Center and the Q Center.
As the project manager and point of contact for the DDE&I communications needs, the CM will work in partnership with the Vice President of Communications and Marketing, the DDE&I Vice President, faculty and staff to plan and execute external and internal communications strategies. The CM will play an important role in advancing DEI programs and services; cultivate a climate of awareness, understanding and respect for all individuals and groups; and address communication challenges in the most thoughtful, creative and effective way possible. In addition, this person will demonstrate impactful storytelling, results-oriented communications and end-to-end project management.
Highlights of a CM's responsibilities:
- Develop unique, cross-platform content for digital and print assets, including social media, websites, videos, info-graphics, multimedia presentations and brochures
- Write, edit and coordinate content for stories and digital newsletters
- Work to identify stories that can be pitched to the media; work with content experts within the DDE&I division to develop articles as required
- Conceive, write and coordinate website content and posting of content on the division's website
- Handle the ongoing needs for content creation for social media channels
- Provide ongoing communication consultation to the division
- Develop an annual communications plan and timeline for the division, defining measurable goals, schedules and a budget
- Conduct an annual communications audit, recommend and conduct market research to test effectiveness of client communications (online surveys, phone surveys, website metrics). Use results to evaluate current programs and formulate future plans
- Work with partners to execute plans; work with Communications and Marketing team members to support programs with professional services such as photography, videography, writing, design, special events, media relations and social media promotions
- Work closely with the director of communications to obtain in-house assistance when appropriate and, when necessary, to negotiate with outside freelance help
- Create and assist with graduate school marketing materials
- Bachelor's degree in related field or Bachelor's degree with related work experience
- Strong verbal and written skills, including writing experience
- Respect for a diversity of opinions and styles
- Exceptional writer with a flexible, conversational tone and the ability to simplify complex topics
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills
- Knowledge of content-management principles, ability to edit templates within a CMS environment, an understanding of web publishing and the technical concepts involved in implementing web publishing solutions
- Experience monitoring and managing social media outlets for a business or institution
- Ability to perform well under pressure, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with an attention to detail
- Higher education experience, campaign email experience and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite are helpful
- A portfolio of professional work
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website http://www.binghamton.edu/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: 01/05/2022
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- Portfolio of professional work
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.