: Controller's OfficeLocations:
: Seattle, WAPosted:
: Dec 21, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-time Non-ExemptRef. No.:
: 150961Position ID:
About Seattle Pacific University:
Founded in 1891, Seattle Pacific University has a long and distinguished history in Christian higher education. Located just minutes from downtown Seattle, SPU seeks to be a premier Christian University fully committed to engaging the culture and changing the world by graduating people of competence and character, becoming people of wisdom, and modeling grace-filled community. Seattle Pacific University seeks applicants committed to its Christian mission.
As part of our mission of cultural engagement, SPU is committed to building an excellent and diverse staff and faculty. Diversity is an ethos that is inseparable from our Christian faith. At SPU, we recognize diversity as a basic feature of God's creation and a core theme of the gospel. At the heart of our mission-centered commitment to becoming a more diverse community is a desire to represent the breadth of God's kingdom more fully.
We strive to become a workplace of choice and to recruit, develop, and retain faculty and staff who can embrace, value, and engage differences with humility and care. We invite you to join us on our journey by starting a career at SPU! Learn more about SPU's commitment to diversity and opportunities for our employees to deepen their capacity to serve our increasingly diverse student body.
Seattle Pacific University provides reasonable accommodation to applicants. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the application or hiring process please contact the Human Resources Department at (206)281-2809, or email [email protected]. Notification must be given at least five (5) working days before the accommodation is needed.
General Summary: Under general supervision of the Accounting Manager, the Technical Accountant will perform professional accounting work involving the application of accounting principles and practices; support University's General Ledger functions; perform accounting work involving the preparation of Journal Vouchers to record financial transactions and error corrections; assist with and support the month-end and year-end close processes and preparation of financial statements and related annual audit; work collaboratively with other department staff to ensure accuracy of transactional information processed.
Responsible for general ledger maintenance, reconciliations and assist in maintaining accounting controls over all University accounting operations.
- Prepares monthly general ledger reconciliations, including bank, benefits, receivables, and adjustment clearing accounts. Research and resolve variances. Ensures the accuracy and appropriateness of entries to ledger accounts and reconciles subsidiary ledger accounts to the general ledger.
- Assists departments in the analysis of financial information. Includes monitoring all subsidiary systems on campus for accurate and timely reporting and reconciling to general ledger system.
- Coordinates with departments on month-end entries and work closely with the Accounting Manager to close out each month.
- Cash Management and Banking: Provides assistance to Accounts Payable each day to make payments through ACH system.
Contributes to close processes and preparation of financial statements and reports.
- Participates in the close processes, by preparing and journal entries, and research and resolve any discrepancies. Process and prepares documentation of various employment benefits.
- Assists in annual year-end audits, including preparation of detail reports and schedule, and pulling supporting documentations.
- Prepares and assists in various tax and governmental related reports. (Federal, State, Local)
Provides support to the University's accounting operations and customers.
- Works collaboratively with staff in the Controller's Office regarding resolving accounting issues and monitors transactions for accuracy.
- Provides support throughout the University in regard to basic financial related transactions.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or closely related field.
- Two years responsibility in accounting/finance setting.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and procedures, experience in general ledger functions and month-end close process. Demonstrated interest in personal and professional learning and development.
- Ability to prioritize work and mange time effectively.
- Experience using complex Excel spreadsheets, database, financial and application software.
- Experience using query tools and report writers.
- Familiarity with higher education financial reporting and accounting systems, a plus.
- CPA, or pursuing CPA, preferred.
Position will remain open until filled. Currently hybrid remote schedule available, employee must reside in WA state.
All SPU employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to submit documentary proof of vaccination unless an exception applies. For more information, see SPU's Vaccination Requirements FAQs web page.
Salary: From 50,000 annually, DOE
This is a full time position with excellent benefits. SPU pays the employee premium for medical, dental, and vision insurance. SPU makes contributions to an employee HSA account and to a retirement account after one year of eligibility in the plan. Tuition discount program available for the employee and qualified immediate family members.
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with the online application.