Porter South University Montgomery, AL, 5355 VAUGHN ROAD, Montgomery, Alabama, United States of AmericaReq #1301 Wednesday, January 12, 2022 What's next for you is the first priority for us! With over 45 programs from associate to doctoral degrees, South University is a private institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities that spark the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population. Our 120-year story—past, present and future—is a history formed by the many individuals who have developed the education and spirit of community that have become our pledge to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters of South University. Online and at our 8 locations and 2 learning sites, we take pride in our welcoming environment; one-on-one support and personalized attention that helps students define goals and identify the means to pursue them. Our small classes feature hands-on experiences that not only shape students’ skills and excellence in their chosen fields but also shape their characters through encouraging community involvement, volunteerism and the pursuit of life-long learning. Visit www.southuniversity.edu
today to learn more about what makes us stand apart as a place to Belong, Believe and Become
, a place where you can make a difference in the lives of students eager to learn and grow.
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Tuition Assistant Program
Long/Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Generous Paid Time Off
12 Paid Holidays
* includes domestic partner coverage
POSITION SUMMARY:This position is responsible for performing cleaning functions in and around the campus building(s) throughout the day and fulfill special requests as needed. Incumbent must assure the standards set for building cleanliness, minor maintenance and safety procedures are all met and maintained regularly. South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position: quality services to clients (students, faculty, staff, & visitors); development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and maintenance of an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- In some cases, opens campus building(s) by unlocking all entry doors and classrooms, checks all spaces including restrooms, hallways and entrances for any maintenance problems and clean any area as needed.
- Keeps assigned work area clean following procedures for regular dusting and disinfecting of surfaces, mopping, vacuuming and sweeping of all floors. Regularly cleans and restocks restrooms, collecting and disposing of trash and debris from building(s) and grounds.
- Uses appropriate equipment to clean carpets and strip, scrub, buff and wax floors following proper usage and safety protocols.
- Moves furniture, equipment, & materials and performs all cleaning activities necessary to keep campus building(s) clean and safe.
- May perform minor repairs and maintenance, check fire extinguishers, test emergency lighting and order cleaning supplies.
- Reports necessary repairs and safety concerns to facility management.
- Pull trash from offices and cleans as requested.
- Maintain orderly janitorial closets - stock when necessary.
- Respond to special requests for assistance from other departments; provide event setup, and follow directives assigned by facility management.
- In some cases, assist in securing campus building(s) by verifying all persons have exited, lock all doors, turn off lights and activate security alarm.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school degree required.
- 0-2 years of solid experience in the housekeeping industry preferably in a post-secondary institution.
- Understands working methods and procedures used in cleaning and minor maintenance of buildings
- Understands qualities and uses of custodial equipment and supplies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior organization, prioritization, self-motivation, and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to listen to customers (students, faculty, staff and visitors) and to understand and respond positively to their requests
- Ability to work without close supervision and to set one’s own priorities.
- Ability to frequently lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand and walk for lengthy periods of time.
Physical or Sensory Demands:
- Frequently lift up to 25 pounds, occasional heavy lifting of up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally climbs up to 15 feet with a ladder
- Exposure to heavy dust, dirt, chemical or paint fumes, or other airborne matter
- Exposure to extreme heat, electric current, hazardous chemicals or other potential hazards
- Sitting or standing for extended periods with no control over rest periods
- Pushes/pulls brooms, vacuums, buffers, scrubbers, cleaning carts
- Must bend, stoop and crawl and occasionally operate hedge trimmers, pressure washers and leaf blowers
ENVIRONMENT:The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds. The vision requirements include ability to adjust focus and close vision.
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectiveOther detailsJob FamilyAll PositionsRequired EducationHigh School Apply Now
- South University Montgomery, AL, 5355 VAUGHN ROAD, Montgomery, Alabama, United States of America
Share this job: