Continuing Education Instructor, Emergency Medical Service-CE Location:
LSC-North Harris Regular/Temporary:
Temporary Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Qualities of Excellence
As faculty members of Lone Star College, we strive to create a nation of world citizenry in our students. In that pursuit, we model ways of thinking and being that incorporate diversity, equality, and equity. Our culture, then, requires the possession of transcendent qualities that, while immeasurable, are evident in global citizens. We are compassionate with our students, colleagues, and ourselves. We are innovative in the pursuit of learning. Ultimately, we create a culture where learning thrives, people are safe, and we mirror the qualities of world citizenry.
Lone Star College faculty are dedicated to four qualities of excellence:
- Student Invested
- Content Expert
- Pedagogically Excellent
- Institutionally Dedicated
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston, TX 77073.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
It is the responsibility of the CE Instructors to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the department, college, and the community. The Instructor member's role encompasses the general areas of learning facilitation and, when not instructing, may include taking part in curriculum development, development and growth of the department, professional development, and institutional service. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Teaches courses in Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional needs, including day, evening, weekend, off- campus, and online classes, as neededServes as the course coordinator for EMS training courses offered through Continuing Education Makes continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methodsDevelops and uses a syllabus for each course or laboratory within college and departmental guidelinesPlans, develops and uses a variety of teaching methods and materials that assist students in meeting course objectives and which are appropriate for students with differing educational and experiential backgrounds and learning stylesEvaluates students to measure their progress toward achievement of stated course objectives and informs them in a timely manner of their progress in the courseSubmits required college reports and formsReviews, evaluates, and recommends student learning materialsMaintains professional relationships with students, colleagues and the communityProvides access to students through posted office hours, electronic communication and other appropriate methodsWhen not instructing, position may be responsible for curriculum development, development of the department, professional development, and institutional service as determined by department leadershipResponsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Mastery of course content
- Ability to follow proper safety standards
- Demonstrated leadership skills; style that emphasizes collaboration, teamwork, and facilitation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to diversity; ability to appreciate alternative viewpoints; ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Commitment to academic excellence, exceptional service and providing a dynamic climate for life-long learning
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement instructional approaches such as service learning/civic engagement, learning communities, and the effective use of technology
- Ability to use effective strategies to engage students in their learning
- Ability to successfully complete a Texas Department of State Health Services sponsored EMT course coordinator training course, and to pass the corresponding state certification examination within one year of course completion
- Position requires frequent lifting of equipment – may include above the head; ability to lift and carry 100 pounds;
- Position requires frequent standing for long periods of time;
- Physical abilities to carry out duties as an EMS professional including:
- having a concept of time and being able to record seconds, minutes, and hours from a watch or clock;
- reading, writing, conversing, and comprehending in fluent English;
- listening to an individual speak through a radio and be able to respond in an audible and intelligible manner;
- listening through a stethoscope for breath sounds and blood pressure readings;
- walking and working in small spaces, various weather conditions, and various physical environments;
- having the tactile and visual ability sufficient for physical assessment;
- manipulating and handling equipment such as a stretcher from floor to a height of 80 inches
WORK SCHEDULE & CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards, as well as in lab environments with exposure to safety hazards typical with that in the EMS industry. Safety precautions must be observed at all times
- Associate’s degree in Emergency Medical Services or related field or Bachelor’s degree and 3 years non-teaching work experience in the field
- Must have been certified/licensed as an EMT or higher for at least four consecutive years
- Must have been a certified EMT instructor for at least two years
- Must have documented at least 120 hours of instruction for initial EMS certificates or have successfully conducted an EMT Basic Course
Commensurate with education, experience and qualifications.
Your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, wellness programs, professional development opportunities, sabbatical opportunities and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.