DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical CampusSchool of Medicine Department of Emergency MedicineResearch Services Senior Professional (Post Award Specialist)Position #00782120– Requisition #24141
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:Anschutz: https://www.ucdenver.edu/docs/librariesprovider284/default-document-library/3000-general-admission/3012---covid-19-vaccination-requirement-and-compliance.pdf?sfvrsn=4e9df3ba_2
Exemptions vary by campus location/department. Campus/Unit-Specific Exemptions:
Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.Denver Campus - Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Will follow Anschutz policy on exemptions.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The Department of Emergency Medicine has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Research Services Senior Professional (Post Award Specialist) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here. Nature of Work
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is currently seeking applications for a Post-Award Specialist. This is a full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position, will be responsible for managing the administration of grants and management of regulatory processes involving grants and contracts for the Department of Emergency Medicine.Using available resources, this position will investigate discrepancies and incorporate feedback to ensure accurate financial reporting on grants. This position will also verify transactions and details posted to the General Ledger (GL), handle payroll changes and transfers related to grants, as well as conduct other budget proposals and analyses as requested. This position will be faced with multiple priorities, as well as difficult situations, and will be required to be flexible, adaptive, and able to articulate thoughts and explanations to those with varying levels of understanding in finance and budgeting. Professional Field
Administration, ResearchSupervision Received
This position will report directly to the Post-Award Grants Manager.Supervisory Authority
NoneExamples of Work Performed
- Assist with the grant and contract operations of the Department of Emergency Medicine
- Act as a backup for proposal development and grant application submission as part of pre- and post-award activities
- Partner with key faculty and assist with review of grant awards, noting special terms and conditions
- Review notice of grant award making note of any special terms and conditions
- Request creation of new account numbers appropriate to funding source and activity
- Manage re-budgeting requests with funding agency for awarded grants
- Establish subcontracts as per notice of grant award with participating institutions ensuring adherence to budget guidelines
- Notify Grants Manager of contractual issues and potential problems; provide possible solutions
- Coordinate incoming contracts, work with subcontract institution, Grant manager, and Office of Grants and Contracts post award office
- Reconcile grant accounts on a monthly basis
- Review monthly accounting activity on all sponsored project accounts ensuring compliance with internal and external policies
- Ensure budget projections accurately reflect the grant activities of the Department and prepare budget/reporting tools for internal and external constituents
- Responsible for budget preparation and analysis and assist with process improvement within the scope of grants and contracts
- Work with Grants Manager to customize monthly reports to concisely itemize, interpret, and compare expenditures to budget
- Research and reconcile discrepancies on accounts
- Complete all applicable forms and requests to sponsor and Office of Grants and Contracts
- Process grant account close-outs
- Act as custodian for PI gift card programs
- Complete quarterly reconciliation of open gift card programs
- Process financial transactions for the department including journal entries, purchase orders, payment vouchers, cash receipts and check deposits and ensure propriety of transactions
- Process standing purchase orders for outgoing subcontracts
- Work directly with subcontractor, Grants Manager, and post-award office to resolve any issues
- Assist with funding distribution changes, payroll transfers, etc. for research faculty and research staff
- Perform other duties as assigned
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, business administration, finance, or other closely related field.
- 2 years of experience in higher education working in finance, accounting, and/or grants management
- This position requires progressively responsible, diverse and extensive experience in contract management, grants management and/or financial management.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Products, including: Word, Access, Outlook, and Excel. Intermediate to Advanced skills in Excel with the ability to use Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and complicated formulas.
- Experience working with standard accounting policies and procedures.
: Relevant experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis, but not for the specific experience.Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.Preferred Qualifications:
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field.
- Experience with fund accounting.
- Higher education accounting experience.
- Higher education budget management, modeling and forecasting experience.
- Experience with managing post award activities
Salary and Benefits:
- Ability to work with a diverse group and competing interests.
- Ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity yet work effectively to fulfill the mission, goals and objectives of the department.
- Knowledge of standard accounting practices.
- Knowledge of fund accounting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, in both written and verbal format, with a variety of people, including faculty and administrators, staff and affiliates.
- Ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment, identify and set priorities for self and others, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Ability to effectively explain processes and procedures.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to represent the University in a professional manner with tact and diplomacy.
- Strong commitment to the team approach.
- Ability to understand complex systems and guide other personnel with regard to their use.
- Demonstrate professionalism, strong work ethic and commitment to high standards.
- Strong financial management and the ability to manage funds from a variety of sources.
- Solid understanding of budget development and management.
- Ability to evaluate, analyze and interpret vast amounts of data, recommend solutions and implement the preferred course of action.
- High degree of technical skills in fiscal management, and knowledge of accounting and business practices, including accounting software packages.
- Knowledge of various CU, CU Medicine, UCH and University policies, rules and regulations pertaining to financial matters.
The salary range for this position has been established at $51,564 - $60,000. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.Job Category:
Research ServicesPrimary Location:
Feb 9, 2022Unposting Date: