Job no: 519584
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: In the State of Florida
Categories: Advancement, Education/Instructional, Executive/Director/Management
Department:18300000 - ED-LASTINGER CENTER
The Lastinger Center for Learning is an education innovation hub within UF's College of Education focused on creating equitable education systems that improve teaching and learning across early childhood and K-12 education. Specifically, the Center targets kindergarten readiness, 3rd grade reading proficiency, and algebra proficiency as critical milestones in children's educational trajectory that are predictive of success in school and life. The Center works at the nexus of research, practice, and policy to develop sustainable systems that leverage educational technologies and improve the implementation of research-based practices. Housed in one of the nation's elite public research universities, the Center operates as a dynamic, entrepreneurial workplace focused on executing against UF's service mission to strengthen the human condition and improve the quality of life.
New Worlds Reading Initiative
In 2021, the Florida Legislature created the New Worlds Reading Initiative, Florida’s first statewide book distribution program, to provide at-home literacy supports for students reading below grade level. Under the initiative, a high-quality, hardcopy book is delivered monthly to eligible students. Their parents are provided resources to help improve their student’s reading skills and instill a love of reading. The Department of Education has designated the Lastinger Center as the Administrator for the program, responsible for fulfilling all the requirements of the initiative.
The bill establishes responsibilities for the state-level Administrator to include:
- Developing, in conjunction with the Just Read, Florida! Office, a selection of books from a variety of genres and covering a range of topics, appropriate for each grade level;
- Facilitating book distribution directly or through an agreement with a book distribution company;
- Developing and distributing marketing materials to help school districts and local partners raise awareness of the initiative;
- Helping school districts identify potential nonprofit partners by maintaining a list of national, state and local organizations that have experience supporting efforts to distribute books to children
- Developing training materials, including video and text resources, to assist families as they engage in reading and improve literacy skills
- Periodically distributing helpful tips and hyperlinks to video modules via text messaging and email to participating families.
- Solicit for and provide taxpayer certificates of contributions that will support the operation of the initiative indefinitely.
Donor Engagement Strategy
- Serve as the primary fundraiser for NWRI tax credit contributions
- Develop and manage engagement strategies for the Center in partnership with the New Worlds Assistant Director and Center leadership
- Develop comprehensive strategies to engage corporate targets in support of the New Worlds Reading Initiative
- Conduct research and identify corporate opportunities in order to build a solid portfolio of viable major donor prospects/companies to assist development team in achieving fundraising goals. Carry out additional research to support the organization in the development of a prospect pipeline and prospect qualification.
- Coordinate all fundraising activities, including identification, qualification, assignment of prospects, as well as cultivation, solicitation, closure, and stewardship.
- Stay up-to-date on, develop, and communicate corporate engagement best practices, offering targeted training to support growing corporate relationships as needed across the Center
- Create partnerships with other leadership, program staff, center support teams and other internal stakeholders across the Center
- Collaborate with UF and UF Advancement stakeholders to contribute to the development of comprehensive NWRI corporate and/or foundation engagement strategies
- Work closely with Corporate & Foundation Relations staff within UF Advancement
- Collaborate with contacts across campus to ensure alignment
- Develop and maintain a top and secondary tier list of key corporate relationships/partnerships to pursue
- Identify, coordinate and help maintain existing and new corporate relationships
- Identify appropriate contacts, initiate and attend visits with business executives (10-15 per month) to advance corporate relations opportunities
- Develop value propositions that are consistent with corporate partner’s long- term business strategies
Organizational Leadership and Team Operations
- Participate with senior leadership teams in setting direction and developing fundraising strategies that meet the funding needs and vision of NWRI.
- Build and maintain a strong development team.
- Lead development team in developing fundraising strategies and comprehensive, multi-year financial goals as well as other necessary departmental projects.
- Create a structured process for the identification, recruitment, evaluation, and recognition of donors to strengthen fundraising effectiveness.
- Assist in developing and implementing a comprehensive communications plan to identify and inform the local and statewide donor audiences of NWRI and the State of Florida in partnership with Center communications team.
- Articulate a comprehensive plan for attending industry conferences and tradeshows to spread awareness of NWRI and increase participation of more corporations in the Tax Credit contributions portion of the initiative.
- Assist with development team marketing initiatives and stewardship/administrative duties as necessary.
- Plan and monitor the development team budget.
- Oversee committees and task forces related to the functions of the position as needed.
- Cultivate and manage a large portfolio of donors and prospects, coordinated with UF development practices.
- Maintain a portfolio major tax credit contributors.
Other Duties as Assigned
- The above functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Therefore for up to 5% of designated capacity, this position will perform related duties as required or deemed appropriate to the accomplishment of the responsibilities and functions outlined herein.
$90,000 - $100,000
Master's degree in appropriate area of specialization and three years of appropriate experience in Development or a related field; or a bachelor's degree in appropriate areas of specialization and five years of experience in Development or a related field. One year of supervisory experience.
Must have a valid State of Florida driver's license.
- Brings a track-record of success in developing campaigns and meeting high level fundraising goals.
- Possesses outstanding writing and editing skills. Proficient in composing and editing compelling and accurate copy.
- Identifies, targets, and strategically builds relationships with colleagues, prospects, donors, and volunteers
- The ability to establish, cultivate, and steward prospects/donors to build and maintain lifelong partnerships and trust on behalf of the organization
- The ability to demonstrate the discipline and resilience necessary to successfully achieve goals and strategies
- Displays responsible, reliable, and trustworthy actions
- The ability to generate creative solutions and take risks
- The ability to attentively listen and express oneself clearly and empathetically in interaction with others in any form of communication
- The ability to develop strategies and plans that integrate into the organization’s mission, priorities, and goals
- Fundamentally identifies with the core mission to create awareness, build relationships, generate support, and recognize donors for the purpose of advancing the university
Organizational culture-related competencies:
- Collaborative: making and inviting contributions
- Proactive: initiative-taking leadership
- Curious: inquiry-oriented and innovative
- Gracious: comfortable in ambiguity
- Equitable: justice-oriented and fair-minded
- Accountable: driving toward impact and measurable outcomes
- Data-driven: embracing a culture of measurement
- Asset-based: Sees each and every person as a valuable asset
- Growth Mindset: Takes every challenge as an opportunity for improvement
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
This is a time-limited position.
This position is open until filled. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Health Assessment Required:No
Advertised: 20 Dec 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled