Physician Assistant (FSU PrimaryHealth™, FMPP SeniorHealth™- College of Medicine) Location:
Tallahassee, FL Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Florida Medical Practice Plan, Inc
FSU PrimaryHealth™ is a new healthcare center in southwest Tallahassee that provides a broad range of primary-care services. The healthcare center includes 15 patient exam rooms, two rooms for behavioral-health services, two health-procedure rooms and a community room.
FSU SeniorHealth is a partner with the patient and primary care physician in optimizing the patient's health and wellness.
Our geriatric physicians serve as co-primary care physicians or geriatric consultants who provide health assessment and management for older adult patients in concert with their primary care providers. Among their responsibilities are conducting initial and periodic comprehensive evaluations, developing an integrated care plan and improving patient self-management skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
This position provides primary health care within outpatient clinic settings and may include home visits, nursing home and/or assisted living facilities. The PA will manage patients with multiple medical conditions. This position is a part of the Florida Medical Practice Plan (FMPP) and the College of Medicine.
This position works closely with the other practicing clinicians at FSU SeniorHealth and FSU PrimaryHealth to address and manage issues between office visits. This will include review of messages and requests for information or prescriptions from patients, and review and signing off on lab, imaging, consultant, and other reports. Addresses abnormal results and findings as needed in coordination with the patient's assigned physician. Develops relationships with patients as needed as a collaborating clinician, particularly for patient populations whose primary physician is in clinic for limited times.
This position provides direct patient care for urgent care issues as needed. This includes performance and documentation of appropriate physical examinations to assess, diagnose, plan treatment, set priorities and realistic outcomes, and evaluate the effectiveness, quality, safety and cost efficiency of patient care. Provides and coordinates clinical care for patients through established protocols and under the supervising physician who is either on site or available by phone or page. Performs procedures specific to the work environment after demonstrated competency and within the guidelines of scope of practice and credentialing protocols. Assess patients for change in status and institutes appropriate interventions. Initiates emergency interventions to stabilize the patient until physician support or EMS arrives. Develops patient care pathways, protocols and guidelines for the management of specific problems in conjunction with physicians and other members of the health care team. Analyzes clinical practice patterns to provide optimum medical care and to increase effectiveness and efficiency. Responds to patient care needs in a timely fashion and documents all patient interactions in the electronic health record.
Communicates verbally and in writing all pertinent patient information to supervising MD, the care team and other relevant healthcare providers. Documents in the patients' electronic medical record all relevant data including, but not limited to: results of diagnostic tests; laboratory results; patient’s condition and response to therapies/interventions; and communications with supervising MD. Utilizes appropriate prescriptive privileges for identified patient population. This position has prescriptive authority for prescribing, ordering, and or administering drugs and necessary medical devices.
Assesses educational needs of the patient-care staff and case managers and provides one-on-one training, as well as formal education as needed. Assesses educational needs of the patients and families and provides culturally sensitive patient/family education interventions as indicated. All education will be documented in the patient's medical record.
Graduate from an ARC-PA accredited PA training program.
- Current NCCPA board certification or eligible for NCCPA certification.
- Current DEA license or the ability to obtain within one year of hire.
- Current valid Florida Physician Assistant or eligibility for Florida licensure.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider Certification by certifying agency, or the ability to obtain prior to hire.
- Experience communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
- Experience in demonstrating effective customer service skills.
- Experience dealing with crises and managing sensitive information.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Experience in assessing patient condition independently or in consultation, and providing appropriate treatment or referral for treatment.
- Ability to provide subject matter expertise and counsel others.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word, or equivalent software.
- Knowledge of available medical resources and terminology.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply current principles, methods and practices for the delivery of medical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment.
- Knowledge of prescription drugs and other medications and the standard concepts, practices and procedures related to pharmaceuticals.
- Knowledge of relevant drugs and non-pharmaceutical patient care aids.
- Ability to differentiate emergency from non-emergency situations.
- Knowledge of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within medical, health, human services, and counseling programs.
Post-job offer, but prior to hire, the following will be required:
- Current PPD (Purified Protein Derivative) test as performed by a qualified physician from within the past 6 months.
- Physical examination completed by a qualified healthcare provider/physician from within the past 6 months.
Within 30 days of hire, you must provide:
- Documentation of vaccination for Tetanus within the last 10 years.
- Proof of immunization OR positive titers for Hepatitis B.
2911 Roberts Avenue
Tallahassee, FL 32310
4449 Meandering Way
Tallahassee, FL 32308
PA Search Committee
Paul Katz, Tracey Hellgren, Jenni Puhr
1115 West Call St Suite 4235
Tallahassee FL 32306
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
Soft Money Funded Position
This is a soft money funded position, with renewal based on available funds and the needs of the University.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Request Letters of Reference
This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Careers link;
2) Click the My References link;
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position; and
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
You may also return to the My References link and click on "Send/View Reference Request" to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Applications will be reviewed as received by the hiring department.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled. Applications to be reviewed as received by the hiring team.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
This position is being re-advertised. Previous applicants need not reapply.