The University of Maine invites applications for a full-time, 9 month, tenure track Assistant Professor in the Division of Theatre/Dance in the School of Performing Arts, with a specialization in acting and a secondary specialization in directing. The position is expected to start August 29, 2022.
The successful candidate will have a terminal degree in Theatre (or the equivalent), experience with college level teaching that aligns with a liberal arts approach, and the potential for a research/ creative activity agenda that elevates and enhances the diversity of the Theatre Program. The ordinary teaching assignment will be three courses per semester with at least one course reassignment per year for a directing role in the academic theatre season.
Service is expected and includes, but is not limited to, curriculum and course development, community outreach, and student recruitment.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching five courses per year
- Directing a theatrical production in the academic theatre season
- Advising and mentoring undergraduate students
- Developing and pursuing a coherent, productive program of creative activity and/or scholarship
- Participating in curriculum and course development, along with other service on campus, to the public, and in the profession
- Developing relationships within local theatre and educational theatre communities through outreach activities
- Engaging in recruitment activities for the division through school visits and workshops within Maine schools
About the University:
The University of Maine is a community of more than 11,700 undergraduate and graduate students, and 2,500 employees located on the Orono campus, the regional campus in Machias, and throughout the state. UMaine is the state land and sea grant university and maintains a leadership role as the System’s flagship university. As a result, it is dedicated to providing excellent teaching, research, and service at the university, state, and national levels. Further information about UMaine can be found at https://umaine.edu/
The University of Maine offers a wide range of benefits for employees including, but not limited to, tuition benefits (employee and dependent), comprehensive insurance coverage including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and short and long term disability as well as retirement plan options. As a former NSF ADVANCE institution, the University of Maine is committed to diversity in our workforce and to dual-career couples.
UMaine is located in beautiful Central Maine. Many employees report that a primary reason for choosing to come to UMaine is quality of life. Numerous cultural activities, excellent public schools, safe neighborhoods, high quality medical care, little traffic, and a reasonable cost of living make the greater Bangor area a wonderful place to live. Learn more about what the Bangor region has to offer here.
The University of Maine System is considered a federal contractor and therefore required to comply with the directives of civil authorities regarding COVID vaccinations. As of January 4, 2022, new hires are required to be fully vaccinated or have submitted a request for a religious or medical exemption on or prior to their start date. Further information can be found here.
- Terminal degree (MFA or PhD) in Theatre or a closely related discipline
- College directing experience
- Evidence of ability to teach courses in Movement, Voice and Speech, and advanced acting courses
- Evidence of ability to develop a productive scholarly and/or creative activity agenda
- 2 or more years of college teaching experience
- 2 or more years of professional acting experience
- MFA in acting
- Evidence of ability to teach courses in directing
- Evidence of active commitment to inclusive teaching practices and to the success of students from diverse backgrounds
- A record of mentoring, community engagement, and recruitment, showing evidence of successful collaboration
Search Timeline is as follows:
Review of applications to begin: January 18, 2022
Screening interviews to begin no earlier than: January 31, 2022
Final interviews to begin no earlier than: February 14, 2022
Tentative start date: August 29, 2022