Job location: Eastview Campus Employment Type:
Part-time Posted data:
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Adjunct Faculty, Dental Hygiene
Job Description Summary:
Responsible to prepare and deliver Dental Hygiene coursework in engaging, innovative, and discipline-appropriate ways that reflect a commitment to success equity, respect for diversity, an understanding of culturally responsive teaching, and knowledge of the teaching field. Meets professional standards for faculty in accordance with college policies and procedures.
Job Description:Principal Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare and teach courses in the field of Dental Hygiene to a diverse student population based on the department's approved course learning outcomes, utilizing a variety of instructional strategies appropriate to the needs of community college students and the standards of the discipline.
- Evaluate student progress and provide clear, timely feedback reflecting program learning outcomes and departmental expectations.
- Provide teaching and mentoring services to students in a manner which does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation, or other protected categories.
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the department chair, dean, and/or associate vice president, vice president, executive vice president.
- Possible assignments to off-campus rotation sites to instruct and supervise students.
Principal Professional Standards
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, online resources, and other technologies for the classroom. Demonstrated proficiency using an online learning management system such as Blackboard to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties (posting office hours, syllabi, etc.)
- Meet deadlines for attendance certification and submission of final course grades.
- Maintain regular office hours to assist students and improve student retention and success.
- Recognize and reflect standards of civility and collegiality in all interactions.
- Comply with published college policies and procedures and meet professional standards for teaching in a community college.
- Appropriate use of the college's learning management system.
- In accordance with the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)*:
Preferred: Master's degree in Dental Hygiene or affiliated area. *SACSCOC requirements may differ depending on the courses taught within the discipline.
- Bachelor's degree in Dental Hygiene or DDS/DMD from a CODA accredited program, or
- Bachelor's degree (any discipline) plus an associates degree in Dental Hygiene from a CODA accredited program. Note: A two-year Dental Hygiene certificate from a CODA accredited program plus general education courses equates to an associate degree.
Required Work Experience (Workforce Programs)
- In accordance with Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) requirements, applicants with an Associate degree or certificate in Dental Hygiene must have three years of non-teaching, industry-related work experience.
Qualities of a Successful Candidate
- Current license, in good standing, to practice dental hygiene (for adjunct dental hygiene faculty) or dentistry (for adjunct supervising dentist) in Texas. Restricted licensure, such as a dental school faculty license will not qualify.
- Current CPR certification.
- Dental hygienists: Bachelor or Master's degree in Dental Hygiene or related field preferred.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Flexible schedule and also available to work evenings and Saturdays.
- Team oriented with a strong dedication to student success.
Application must be submitted by the closing date for this position.Criminal Background Check
Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all staff and faculty positions.ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.ACC does not participate in Social Security.
ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.Working Conditions
- Work is routinely performed in an office/classroom/clinic environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
August 31, 2022
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.