Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff. Job Description:
Amherst College invites applications for the Director of Communications, Admission and Financial Aid. position. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Director of Communications, Admission & Financial Aid is a senior leader in the Division of Admission & Financial Aid with responsibility for communications and marketing strategy for admission and financial aid. The Director will lead the College's efforts on representing Amherst's brand to prospective students, their families, their mentors, and more. Reporting directly to the Dean of Admission & Financial Aid (who in turn reports to the President), the Director is a collaborating member of the Admission & Financial Aid senior leadership team. The Director of Communications is a full-time, year-round position, job group and level PT-5. This position is eligible to participate in the College's hybrid work program, and during the pilot period can be done either as a full-time on-campus role or as a hybrid role with some work completed remotely in Massachusetts and some on campus work required.
Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community. Like all Admission & Financial Aid staff, the Director will take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
In this newly created leadership role, the Director will conceive of and implement a communications strategy that builds on existing programs, channels, and staff, and which ties into the wider College's communications efforts, to create excitement and engagement across all audiences. The successful candidate will build an integrated communications and messaging program that extends across traditional and digital media, utilizes data and analytics to continually assess its success and effectiveness, and can be adjusted in real-time.
The ideal candidate will:
- be passionate about educational access and opportunity, especially for students from historically excluded populations
- have experience in communications with diverse groups of young people
- have managed projects with outside partners and vendors
- be knowledgeable of and experienced in both traditional print and written projects as well as modern digital and social media projects
- be well-connected to and highly knowledgeable of communications firms doing innovative, mission-driven work
- use data and analytics to inform decisions
- demonstrate exemplary writing and interpersonal communications skills. A refined and nuanced ability to craft content, create connections and disseminate messages in ways that reflect, engage, and enhance various complex community and cultural perspectives.
- have the ability to, when necessary (because we are a small office at a small school), handle when necessary, handle less strategic tasks quickly, such as updating digital communications, sending mass emails, etc.
The Director will lead the strategic visioning and implementation of
- Amherst College's access and affordability message
- communication to prospective students, families and others about Amherst's brand and value proposition, in conjunction with Admission and Communication partners
- communication to current students and families about financial aid policy and practice, in conjunction with Financial Aid partners
Summary of Duties and ResponsibilitiesCommunications strategy
- Develop and implement the communications strategy for the Amherst College Admission and Financial Aid division.
- Analyze and utilize existing market research findings and communications analytics.
- Work closely with the Dean of Admission, the Dean of Financial Aid, and the Admission and Financial Aid communication leads
- Collaborate with campus partners, including the Office of Communications
Communications projects and ad hoc
- Work with and manage relationships with external and internal vendors to bring major projects to fruition.
- Direct the admission and financial aid websites.
- Manage the communications budget
Core admission work
- Directly implement routine and ad hoc communications needs for Admission and Financial Aid.
- Working with the Dean of Admission and the Dean of Financial Aid, craft important messaging regarding policies, updates, and other important needs
- Read and evaluate applications for admission
- Oversee application evaluation within assigned geomarkets
- Participate as a voting member of the admission committee
- Participate in visitor programs, including information sessions
- Occasional weekend work may be required
- Bachelor's Degree
- Seven to ten years of communications experience
- Demonstrated accomplishments in communicating with young people from a variety of racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Superior project management skills
- Experience and commitment to working within a diverse and inclusive environment
- Experience in harnessing data and insights from a CRM
- Skill with web content management systems (CMS)
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
- Fluency in a language in addition to English
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information .
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.