NC - Eastern North Carolina
TEAM: Eastern North Carolina and Charlotte-Piedmont Triad
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, North Carolina
LOCATION: Triangle area or Eastern part of NC
Over the past 30 years Teach for America has served and impacted North Carolina communities across multiple regions (Eastern NC, Piedmont-Triad, Charlotte) with over 200+ current corps members teaching in classrooms across the state and over 2,100 alumni living and working in NC. Building on that history of impact, TFA moved to a statewide operating model in Summer 2021 unifying its multiple NC regions under the leadership of its first statewide Executive Director, Dr. Monique Perry-Graves. You can learn more about the new chapter for TFA in North Carolina from our new ED here. In concert with our ED’s vision to accelerate progress towards the mission of doubling the impact of communities TFA serves in North Carolina by 2030, a newly reconfigured leadership opportunity has been designed to meet the moment and movement.
The VP, Statewide Partnerships and Services role is a member of the statewide leadership team ( NC Executive Cabinet) and has a multi-tiered charge of creating and leading the execution of new and innovative services in addition to our core signature program offering, serve as Head of Statewide Program (leading the entire NC program team and ensuring excellence in impact, outcomes and operations) while also cultivating and stewarding a portfolio statewide community alliances and partnerships in collaboration with and as designated by the ED.
This role will be a high-impact leader that is able to create value as a member of the NC team, while also contributing to a positive culture aligned with the ED’s focus on a people centric commitment to excellence. This leader will work synergistically as a collaborative thought partner and leader with the Executive Director and will create conditions for innovation and success across their teams that are rooted in impact and outcomes. The candidate must also possess and demonstrate a personal commitment to education and equity and how they intersect. The ideal candidate is a systems level thinker who can assess and balance short and long-term priorities with organizational benchmarks for achieving our mission. This individual is entrepreneurial, strategic, creative, thrives in ambiguity, and is comfortable navigating conflict, and building relationships quickly. The candidate for this position must live in the NC Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/RTP area) or Eastern NC (Nash, Wilson, Edgecombe, Vance, Warren, and surrounding counties) or be willing to relocate to those areas within 45-60 days of hire (and remain in those areas as an ongoing condition of employment).
Statewide Services, Innovation & Multi-Team Leadership (35%):
Statewide Innovation and Services: In collaboration with the Executive Director and other colleagues, set vision and direction to ensure our statewide region is delivering high-quality, relevant, and mission centered services beyond its core program offering. Including but not limited to the following:
- Define opportunities through research, conducting analysis, and relationship building with stakeholders across the state.
- Develop the vision, set goals, and establish measures of success for innovations and services
- Craft strategies and determine key tactics for new innovative service offerings and partner with team members to determine responsibility for execution of offerings.
- Managing execution of the testing, piloting and implementation of programs and associated new revenues to the organization.
- May manage staff that are connected to broader innovation work outside of the region but connected to the local context.
- Multi-Team Leadership/People Developer:
- Attract, hire, and develop a team of diverse and talented staff members.
- Coach, develop and manage multiple team leaders toward excellence for new and innovative services, student outcomes, corps member impact and experience, team goal attainment, and staff experience and sense of belonging. (The following roles report to this role: SMD, ENC Program and Program Strategy, MD, CPT Program (2); MD, Corps Member Experience and Onboarding.).
- Skill in delivering constructive feedback and operate with candor in support of people development and the promotion of psychological safety.
- Set a positive tone and effectively leads, encourages, and develops a team aligned to the organization’s core values - works to establish a sense of belonging for everyone.
- Ensure that the proper infrastructure exists to maximize performance of all people and resources, creating an environment that fosters diversity and inclusiveness.
- Build and maintain a culture that is grounded in our core values of pursuing equity, strengthening community, achieving impact, choosing courage, acting with humility, demonstrating resilience, and learning continuously.
- Support team-wide priorities for our statewide organizational-wide initiatives. Examples include:
- Participating in staff committees, teams and task forces
- Corps member recruitment, matriculation, and onboarding
- Team meetings and professional development
- Corps member pre-service and orientation
- Statewide events and programming (such as teacher development and end-of-year celebrations)
Statewide Partnerships and Alliances 35%
- Partner with, prioritize actions for, and support the Executive Director in cultivating, investing, and stewarding external leaders/partners (current and prospective) to expand the region’s involvement, influence, and impact.
- Identify, build, and leverage diverse relationships and networks to identify or create opportunities to benefit Teach For America, our mission, and the broader local movement in partnership with the ED.
- Participate in various events or serve as designee of the ED to help establish Teach For America as a key partner in education and stay current with developments at the city and state level that could impact teaching and learning.
- Establish and maintain diverse school district and community partnerships that drive toward a common vision, goals, and values and to ensure that Teach For America becomes part of the social and educational fabric of the region.
Statewide Head of Program/Program Excellence: (30%)
- Ensure successful execution of our signature program offering from recruitment to retention to program completion.
- Ensure our programmatic model is rooted in our organization’s mission, theory of leadership, and corps member roadmap; equips corps members to achieve evidence-based impact with students; and maximizes individual and collective impact of our corps members as lifelong systems-change leaders.
- Chart our student progress course through setting a vision for excellence, assessing progress, and iterating plans, as needed, through excellence in data sharing, collection, analysis, and reflection.
- Manage the program and innovation team budget and accurately allocate and move resources in alignment with needs, goals and objectives; ensure financial stewardship and impact of investments.
- Ensure that all services and programs (and leaders) are brand aligned working closely with the Strategy and Storytelling team leader collaboratively on data, impact and overall alignment with strategy.
- Hybrid work environment (required staff and internal meetings, in addition to external commitments, otherwise remote work). Candidates will have access to work in office locations in Eastern NC or Triangle if desired.
- This role requires occasional evening and weekend commitments.
- Ability to travel across the state of NC for various meetings and commitments. Post COVID-19 may attend out of state conferences once or twice a year.
- Candidate must currently live (or relocate within 45-60 days) to the Triangle area
- (Raleigh/Durham) or Eastern NC (Nash, Wilson, Warren, Vance, Edgecombe, Granville Counties) and remain in one of those areas as a condition of employment.
THE MUST HAVES
- Prior Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree , Masters Degree
- Preferred 10+ years of direct leadership experience of managing multiple teams and/or leaders in a school, district, non-profit, higher education, government or policy environment (or related field)
- Track record of credibility and impact in building teams, leading innovation, and outcomes in K-12 education or other fields in the education ecosystem (non-profit, policy, government, economic development, higher ed)
- Previous experience in external capacity in partnership, development or other external stakeholder work in communities across North Carolina, especially in the Triangle and/or Eastern NC preferred
- Previous Teach For America staff and/or corps experience preferred
- Strong executive presence and communication skills
- Strong emotional intelligence/self-awareness
- Adaptive leadership orientation, comfortable with leading, following, collaborating, facilitating and knowing when to do both
- Strong data orientation and appreciation of quantitative and qualitative impact
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Experience working cross-functionally to support the greater team or organization in achieving ambitious outcomes
- Exceptional personal responsibility for meeting goals and a track record of success
- Possesses a spirit of flexibility, a positive outlook and growth mindset