Job Title: Network Engineer, Information Technology
Division: Information Technology
Evaluation Group: Staff
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Assistant Vice President, Information Technology
Positions Supervised: N/A
The network engineer is responsible for the architecture, configuration, installation, and maintenance of Cisco switches and routers; Palo Alto and Checkpoint Firewalls; Cisco and Meraki Wireless equipment; and other various networking products. This position also plans and leads networking projects for the University.
Essential Job Functions and Performance Indicators
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and level of responsibility that will be required of positions given this title. This job description shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Job Responsibilities and Execution
- Designs, implements, and operates campus-wide networks, including phones, wireless, wired, and other data networks
- Uses tools such as routers, switches, wireless equipment, and firewalls to maintain day-to-day network operations
- Acts as project manager for network and security projects and executes various related tasks as needed
- Creates and endorses standards for campus network operation, wiring, and design that align with industry best practices
- Evaluates IT security protections and potential for gaps; takes action to remediate
- Acts as SME/Tier 3 resource for service desk escalations
- Keeps campus network on supported and secure versions of networking software
- Supports the mission of the University and serves as an ambassador of the Q2 culture of service excellence
- Models, supports, and holds others accountable to the University’s values – integrity, dedication, excellence, creativity, and teamwork
- Builds rapport with customers, communicating in a concise, customer-focused manner
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with faculty, staff, colleagues, and students
- Ensures that IT network processes uphold University standards
Communication, Teamwork, and Collaboration
- Provides IT support to other team members
- Acts as a point of contact regarding network issues and assists in finding solutions
- Works closely with other departments to determine network needs
- Seeks and acts on opportunities to improve teamwork and communication
Job may require other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications – An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered. Additional requirements may be designated by position.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years’ related IT experience
- Completion of vaccination status survey and proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – May be representative, but not all inclusive, of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform this job competently.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Knowledge of and experience with Cisco switches and routers, Palo Alto and Checkpoint Firewalls, and Cisco and Meraki Wireless equipment, among other networking products
- Great active listening skills
- Defines success collectively rather than individually
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to remain flexible during changing circumstances and requirements
- Uses good judgment and intuition around subtleties of group dynamics; understands impact of words and actions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized and able to direct multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to think critically
- Ability to collaborate with other departments
- Advanced knowledge of how to leverage IT processes to assist the University in upholding its mission
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of this job’s functions.
- General office setting
- Flexible scheduling options
Physical Abilities – The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to work effectively at a computer for up to eight hours daily
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to use repetitive wrist, hand, and finger movements to type
- Ability to stand, reach, stoop, and walk
- Ability to grasp, lift, and carry IT hardware and other equipment
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function
Equal Opportunity Employer
Lindenwood University is an Equal Opportunity employer. The University complies with appropriate federal, state, and local laws and provides equal employment opportunities and access to educational programs without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected status to all qualified applicants and employees. Lindenwood University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and dedicated to providing a positive discrimination-free educational work environment.