Job Title: Director, Faculty Development
Division: Academic Affairs
Evaluation Group: Staff
FLSA Status: Exempt
Starting Salary: $ 69,015.00 +
Reports To: Provost and Vice President, Academic Affairs
Positions Supervised: N/A
The director of faculty development works within the Lindenwood Learning Academy, a vibrant hub for employee professional development. The director manages comprehensive opportunities related to faculty development, with the goal of increasing the effectiveness of all university instructors and assuring continuous improvement in the academic quality of the university. The director works collaboratively with stakeholders within and beyond the institution to design and deliver faculty development programming that supports faculty in achieving the desired standards and norms for faculty performance, communication, and personal and professional growth.
Essential Job Functions and Performance Indicators
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and level of responsibility that will be required of positions given this title. This job description shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Job Responsibilities and Execution
- Coordinates and delivers annual needs assessment for training and development
- Assesses and analyzes program evaluation results for all completed trainings to identify improvement areas, and ensure the quality of course impact
- Develops, initiates, and maintains effective and impactful programs for faculty retention, promotion, and succession planning
- Maintains broad knowledge of established and emerging research in the study of teaching and learning, with expertise in best pedagogical practices, instructional design, and active learning techniques for multiple modalities of instruction (on-ground, online, and hybrid)
- Teaches at least one course per year
- Participates in organizational strategic planning and provides leadership for performance management and policy development for quality improvement
- Ensures that organization-wide talent and performance management initiatives are focused on and align with improving operational and program efficiencies and effectiveness
- Recommends, evaluates, and participates in the development of all employees Develops processes for determining staffing projections and forecasting for faculty development budget
- Assists in coaching, enhancing, and remediating employees as appropriate or as directed by employees’ supervisor
- Supports the mission of the university and serves as an ambassador of the Q2 culture of service excellence
- Models, supports and holds others accountable to the university’s values – integrity, dedication, excellence, creativity and teamwork
- Builds rapport with students, colleagues, and community members, communicating in the way best suited for each audience
- Develops, presents, and assesses annual new faculty orientation program and adjunct instructor conference
Communication, Teamwork and Collaboration
- Collaborates with key organization partners in introducing appropriate and innovative technology solutions
- Creates and maintains an environment of equal employment opportunity, diversity and competitive advantage in support of the university’s diversity and inclusion goals
- Works closely with the HR workday specialist, the Office of Institutional Effectiveness, Lindenwood Online, and any other necessary offices to collect, coordinate, and analyze aggregate data for effective proposals and decision-making to support faculty development
- Collaborates with the director of employee development to ensure high-quality development opportunities for all employees
- Collaborates with faculty and administrators in the creation and implementation of development programs
Job may require other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications – An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements may be designated by position.
- Terminal degree from an accredited university
- Record of teaching excellence in a college or university setting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – May be representative, but not all inclusive, of the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform this job competently.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with faculty, staff, colleagues, and students
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong professional integrity and ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to use good judgment, think critically, communicate effectively, and diffuse difficult situations
- Effective use of general office hardware and computer software applications
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of this job’s functions.
Physical Abilities – The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to work effectively at a computer for up to eight hours daily
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function
Equal Opportunity Employer
Lindenwood University is an Equal Opportunity employer. The University complies with appropriate federal, state, and local laws and provides equal employment opportunities and access to educational programs without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected status to all qualified applicants and employees. Lindenwood University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and dedicated to providing a positive discrimination-free educational work environment.