Assistant Professor of Public Relations & Strategic Communication Location:
Savannah State Recruiting Loc Regular/Temporary:
Temporary Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Savannah State University established in 1890, is the first public historically black college or university in the state of Georgia and the first institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university's students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment.
Savannah State University seeks qualified applicants for a full time, tenure track, Assistant Professor in Public Relations to begin Fall 2022. Applicants must demonstrate sufficient academic qualifications and professional experience in the field.
- The selected candidate will teach undergraduate courses in public relations, media studies, PR campaigns and other general courses, as needed.
- The successful candidate will be expected to teach a full load (4/4 – four courses per semester).
- Mentor mass communication students.
- Support Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication ACEJMC accrediation efforts.
- Maintain research productivity, provide service to the department, and to the university.
- May be directed to perform job related tasks other than those specifically delineated in this description.
- A Ph.D. from an accredited university in public relations or related field is required.
- Excellent oral, written, and communication skills.
- Professional experience in the public relations field, in an agency, corporate, non-profit, or similar capacity is desired.
- Two (2) years of teaching experience
- Active professional involvement in Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), National Black Public Relations Society (NBPRS), Accredidation in Public Relations (APR), or other public relations professional organizations, active involvement in a national academic organization, and record of juried research publications preferred.
Required Documents to Attach
- All transcripts
- List of References
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources at [email protected]. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected].