Date: December 8, 2021
Title: Assistant Vice President for Finance/Controller
Description: Under the supervision of the Vice President for Finance, the Assistant Vice President for Finance/Controller (AVPF&C) is responsible for leading and managing the accounting activities of the College. The AVPF&C supervises the Finance office, which includes student accounts, accounts payable, payroll and accounting. The AVPF&C is responsible for ensuring that the accounting records are maintained in accordance with GAAP, effective controls are maintained, risk mitigated and that the College uses its resources effectively and efficiently.
- Provide leadership and oversight for the daily operations of the payroll, student accounts, accounts payable and general accounting areas within the finance office
- Prepares and provides monthly and year end financial statements (internal and external)
- Monitors and controls the fiscal policies and procedures of the College, ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), the IRS and any other applicable regulations. Protects assets by establishing, reviewing and enforcing internal controls
- Oversees and manages daily cash activity. Acts as the College’s liaison with the bank for day to day treasury operations
- Plans, coordinates and acts as primary contact for the annual financial audit and also the Uniform Guidance audit of federal funds
- Manages the financial component of federal grants and federal loan funds including monitoring and reviewing of expenses, governmental reporting and timely drawdowns of funds
- Assists with preparing budgets
- Provides support and financial information in response to needs of various constituencies including departmental chairs, senior management and Board of Trustees
- Ability to create and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external constituents
- Additional job related duties as assigned
- As a representative of the College, must comport oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus.
- Comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and associational regulations
- Participate in significant campus activities including Welcome Weekend, True Blue Weekend, and Commencement Weekend.
Minimum requirements for this position include a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with between 5 and 7 years of experience in a similar position or field.
Must have accounting experience in higher education, a current CPA license, 3-5 years of supervisory experience, along with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the start of their employment.
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,200 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce. The College features a Liberal Arts in Practice general education curriculum and aspires to “be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning.”
Hartwick operates as a community of learners where there is a very real sense of belonging and connection. By joining Hartwick, you become part of a group of people who work together, share in our successes, and a celebrate our accomplishments. All positions at Hartwick contribute to the education and development of students with the opportunity to see the impact on future leaders—what you do at Hartwick really matters.
Our beautiful 425-acre campus is located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, New York—a charming town near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, flexible scheduling, opportunities to engage in athletic and cultural events (concerts, exhibits, and lectures) and tuition benefits for eligible employees and their dependents.
Hartwick College prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression and is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational and employment environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process.
All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.Read More