: Watson College of Engineering & Applied ScienceLocations:
: Binghamton, NYPosted:
: Dec 8, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 00329Position ID:
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Instructional Support Technician (SL-3)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science seeks an outstanding candidate for the position of Instructional Support Technician. Providing skilled, specialized assistance to faculty, staff and students, the Instructional Support Technician plays a critical function in support of the College's educationally related programs or projects. Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Provide support and guidance in the safe operation and maintenance of the College's academic and research laboratories
- Work closely with the faculty to ensure that academic laboratories adequately support the engineering and computer science curricula of the College
- Design, set up, test, and validate experimental setups for lab sessions as needed (both for traditional and online programs)
- Operate and maintain equipment that includes 3D printers and machining equipment
- Provide consulting services in support of student and faculty projects
- Provide mentoring, supervision, technical advice and instruction in use of equipment and materials, and safety protocols to student projects and competition teams (i.e. SAE, ASME, etc.)
- Assist in procurement procedures and install needed equipment and supplies as required
- Develop and conduct workshops on technical topics relevant to the College's educational mission
- Initiate, propose, develop content or projects in keeping with the educational mission of the team/college
- Serve on college and university-wide committees as needed
- Associate degree in engineering or related discipline and a minimum of 4 years working with a variety of engineering equipment, software, and machines; or the equivalent education or trade certification and work experience
- Thorough knowledge of laboratory safety
- Cultural competency; comfort working collegially with all constituents of the university's diverse community
- Thorough knowledge of electromechanical equipment, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the work of technical projects
- Ability to review and prepare specifications for technical equipment
- Ability to design, fabricate, and assemble devices
- Available to work a flexible schedule to support operations including days, evenings, and some weekends
- Ability to travel in support of the College's needs (training, competitions, etc.)
- Experience with CAD/CAM (e.g. Fusion 360, Solidworks, Creo, etc.) and CNC programming (mills and lathes)
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: 12/22/2021
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.